Tunisia

Associate
hi just a quicky, has anybody been to Tunisia on holiday? what was it like?. have booked for november, but wife keeps worrying. (reason for november is we dont like it red hot.) thanks gary

Soldato
Not wishing to be negative but I went for 8 days at the end of April and paid £218 extra for me and the misses to get home after 2 days.

The weather was cold (25mph winds) which was a gamble as went early, you get continually harrassed by locals trying to sell you crap.

For a country thats main income is from tourism the airport staff were very rude. Took hours to get through customs as they dumped 3 plane loads of people in the arrivals hall (it was very small) and had about 3 people clearing everyone through customs! They have no idea on efficiency etc

The hotel was nice but not what I would call a 5 star (was meant to be) everyone tries to rip you off money wise.

Depending on where you go there isn't much to do if you don't have good weather to sunbathe in. It is a very poor country so there are no real shops to go to, there are markets and people selling stuff on the streets but most of it is rubbish.

If your not going at a time it is hot you will have weather worse than here.

We took a gamble on a cheap last minute deal and regreted it, another couple from a different hotel left early as well (had a chat to them in he airport)

Since coming back I have spoken to atleast 5 people who have had bad experiences there and a few that got good weather said it was nice but wont return.

Egypt is probably a better bet ;)

Sorry to be negative but thought you should hear my opinion as I wish I had had other people tell me what it was like before I went.

Any country that let itself be invaided by france has to have issues ;)

Associate
OP
well.....thanks for being honest.. i dont know now whether to let the wife see this posting. its supposed to be a 4 star hotel, half board, with thompsons (maharaba palace ) . thanks anyway gary.(feeling im going into the doghouse anyway) :(

Man of Honour
Never understood folk who go on holiday then pay to come home early. It's the same as people who walk out half way through a film or football match. Surely you can't be having that awful a time?

Anyway, the Marhaba Palace is a decent hotel. Here is the readup from D&G Gazetteer Guide (the independant, under-the-counter guide to hotels that we use to get the truth about them)

Opinion

Comfortable spacious beachfront choice with well-maintained appearance and enjoyable range of on-site facilities. Pleasing but not intimidatingly formal surrounds. Good choice for golfers with selection of courses in and around resort.

Area type: at edge of marina; extensive choice of tourist shops and restaurants
Distance to Beach: immediate
Shops: immediate
Trust me, as far as Gazetteers goes, that's a positively glowing review.

The hotel has a host of facilities and has excellent customer feedback in all areas (food scores lower than other scores - this is ALWAYS the case in Tunisia, and indeed Egypt)

Associate
OP
thanks for that, at least got me out of the doghouse at the moment. tbh we went to the algarve at the beginning of the year, and really enjoyed it,(first holiday abroad, now the kids are old enough to fend for themselves , we have decided to travel abit.). will have to hope for reasonable weather. thanks again everybody, .

Associate
went last year for a chill out holiday - i'm sure we went october time - it was ramadan - Tunisia is a muslim contry - But apart from things slowing down for an hour or so late afternoon not a problem.

Lots of bartering to have if you go to any of the madinas - But there are lots of fixed price shops

Tipping is the norm - if you chuck your waiter or bar tender a quid or so you'll get great service.

Tourism is the main income - However - Its a closed economy - Just about all the produce is home grown - All the food looks great and there was always plenty of it at the hotel - but a little bland - A very strong italian influence.

We stayed at port el kantoui - Basically it is a purpose built hotel town. You can use just about any hotels facilities no matter which one your in, Facilities in hotels are great - Massive rooms - could'nt fault our.

Plenty to do - did a couple of excursions - went to the sahara and the the roman theater - fantastic - it what they used for gladiator

Weather was ok - Odd bit of rain but mainly warm.

Would recomend to any one who wants to chill - did enjoy it but not really that much to go back for.

This year thinking about driving through europe and down to italy

Associate
OP
thanks how did you find the sahara trip ,? i want to do it , but the missus is not sure.( full story is its our 25th wedding anv. and i booked before telling her.....) at least she has something to set her mind at rest a bit. gary. :cool:

Soldato
lol I can't understand people leaving the cinema either.

There was seriously nothing to do, it was cold and grey, the food was iffy to say the least, to be fair we were a bit further down to the south

We went through Thompson as well and stayed in the 5* Vinnci Nour palace in Madia.

Just read up on some reviews and although mixed the general theme of nothing to to do outside the hotel reined supreme, as well as the over enthusiastic star rating.

You are staying in a better place as the Port El Kantaoui is far more built up and not in the sticks like we were :p The star system does seem to be higher than it should from the reviews and from all the people I have spoken to it does look like you need to knock 1 star off to get a better idea, that sad the reviews of the hotel do look very good

I really do hope you have a good time, and as you are in a better area even if you get iffy eather you should not be trapped in the hotel like us ;)

Associate
OP
tbh when we went to the algarve it was a very last minute thompsom gold , we were probably the youngest there, but everybody said we were spoilt,as they found the hotel to be one of the best ,(falacia). so we dont expect miracles from the hotel. but thanks everybody all points taken on board. gary. :)

Man of Honour
gc123 said:
tbh when we went to the algarve it was a very last minute thompsom gold , we were probably the youngest there, but everybody said we were spoilt,as they found the hotel to be one of the best ,(falacia). so we dont expect miracles from the hotel. but thanks everybody all points taken on board. gary. :)
The Gold Team at the Falesia won best Entertainment Team in Thomson last year IIRC, and the hotel is getting great feedback from my customers.

Soldato
I went there a few years ago. Stayed between Sousse and Port El-Kantoui (sp?).
We went on a shoestring budget for a fortnight, but had an amazing time.
Plenty to do around Sousse. The sook is an experience, but look everywhere before buying anything. Haggling is the norm, but always use the prices in the state shop as a guide. Then get it cheaper in the markets.
I found all the hotel and restaurant staff exceptionally friendly. As said before, tip a little (and I mean a little) and you will make their day and receive even better service.

We did the coach tour through El Djem, Matmata then the Sahara. It was a bit rushed in 3 days(and having sunburn on the back of your legs on a coach trip is baaad!), but very interesting.
We also took public transport into Tunis, then on to Carthage for a wander - word of warning - don't stop outside the presidents palace and rummage in your rucksack, ignoring the shouts behind you, then turning around to see you are being charged by bodyguards with well used SMG's :eek:

We went quad biking twice, and it was so cheap. The terrain is wonderful for it - olive groves, dusty trails etc.
The beaches are lovely, the sea warm and blue. Your money will go a long way.

The worst thing about Tunisia was that it opened my eyes on how nast camels actually are! Vile, evil creatures hell bent on eating me, glaring at me or spitting at me!

Soldato
emailiscrap said:
I went there a few years ago. Stayed between Sousse and Port El-Kantoui (sp?).
We went on a shoestring budget for a fortnight, but had an amazing time.
Plenty to do around Sousse. The sook is an experience, but look everywhere before buying anything. Haggling is the norm, but always use the prices in the state shop as a guide. Then get it cheaper in the markets.
I found all the hotel and restaurant staff exceptionally friendly. As said before, tip a little (and I mean a little) and you will make their day and receive even better service.

We did the coach tour through El Djem, Matmata then the Sahara. It was a bit rushed in 3 days(and having sunburn on the back of your legs on a coach trip is baaad!), but very interesting.
We also took public transport into Tunis, then on to Carthage for a wander - word of warning - don't stop outside the presidents palace and rummage in your rucksack, ignoring the shouts behind you, then turning around to see you are being charged by bodyguards with well used SMG's :eek:

We went quad biking twice, and it was so cheap. The terrain is wonderful for it - olive groves, dusty trails etc.
The beaches are lovely, the sea warm and blue. Your money will go a long way.

The worst thing about Tunisia was that it opened my eyes on how nast camels actually are! Vile, evil creatures hell bent on eating me, glaring at me or spitting at me!

What company did you book with and what hotel did you stay in?

Back
Top Bottom