• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card damaged when shipping - can I get refund off royal mail?

Soldato
Hi, I recently sold my 7800gtx to someone and they claim its broken, it worked 100% for me though, I was wondering if there is anychance that I could get royal mail to refund me for the broken card as it was fine here, arrived broken there, or am I just being stupid.

Permabanned
It would depend on what method you used to post it and alo the value you insured it for.

Claiming againt royal mail isnt the easiest thing in the world so good luck.

Soldato
OP
I used special delivery (Its insured upto £500 as standard right?) and it was packed really really well, would I have to prove it worked on this pc before it was sent? Would 3dmark orbs do lol.

Caporegime
insurance for RM recorded is something pathetic like £25

but if you sent it registered (special delivery) the insurance is £500 so claiming shouldnt be a problem

i allways advise people buying off me from MM or whatever to go for SD, as i know what pains RM can be.

especially as i work for a mail order company, i see it every day.

Caporegime
not sure just have to ring them

but id stretch the truth about how much it works, cos i dnnt see them giving a refund for "orbs in 3dmark" how is the royal mail person gonna know what that is ?

just explain that its a sensitive electrical device, pc component, that no longer works. dont go into too much detail as you'll shoot yourself in the foot.

Soldato
OP
If I say sensitive electrical component, would they just say you should have put fragile on the packaging, if you didnt do this we wont pay you, then I go no I didnt do that?

Man I hope I dont screw this up.

Soldato
OP
I hope so, the good thing is the market value is like £290 the cheapest i've seen it, I sold it for £200, could make a profit yet lol.

Associate
also remember, royal mail will want to see the packaging to ensure it was adequately packed. make sure the guy who received it hasn't thrown it away.

Associate
What did the guy you sold it to say was wrong with it?

Maybe the guy you sold it to overclocked it and broke it, maybe he/she has a duff power supply.

If the package was damaged when the guy recived it he/she should have written that on the signature thing otherwise you will have a tough time getting money off royal mail.

Soldato
OP
Hmm, well the guy claims the card doesnt boot, he says his ATI one does and this doesnt, he has a 550W antec and a normal pc so I dont think its the power supply, and he did use the power cable thing.

Associate
I work for Royal Mail and to be honest I think England have more chance of winning the World Cup than you have of getting any money from Royal Mail. Unless you can prove the Parcel was damaged by Royal Mail you have no chance. But, I hope I'm wrong.

Michael

Soldato
a card not booting up could be any problem. i suggest he try it in another pc or he sends it back to you and if it still works for you then you know he is full of crap and refund him the money minus the delivery charges you have suffered.

Permabanned
Tell him to remove all the ATI drivers thoroughly first (Driver Cleaner) turn the pc off and install the 7800 then install the Nvidia drivers. Might help.

Back
Top Bottom