• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Playing HDTV

Soldato
I downloaded a sample and when i try play it on my ATI X1800XT it is all discoloured.

Do i need to download anything?

Edit - works in DivX player but just looks like a DVD to me :confused:

Last edited:
Associate
What did you expect. If your watching it on a monitor with your current high resolution your not going to notice much of a difference. However stream it to a high def tv and you will notice a major difference compaired to a sd broadcast. This is because a current tv can only output 576i but the high def can go up to 1080p. Your monitor however can go higher still so you wont see much difference compaired to anything else you watch on the pc.

Soldato
bris said:
This is because a current tv can only output 576i but the high def can go up to 1080p. Your monitor however can go higher still so you wont see much difference compaired to anything else you watch on the pc.
His monitor can go higher than 1920x1080P? not bad. How'd you know that btw?

Associate
There was an article - think it was on the inquirer. 2 american people had kicked up a fuss about ati cards not being able to play hdtv even though they advertise that they can so that could be the problem. Not sure whats happening about it all but im guessing its false advertising so you should be able to return the cards for a refund

Suspended
What kit and how are you connecting? Unless you have a HD panel at least 1366x768, over HDMI, DVI or Component connection your display won't show HD. ie if you just plug it into a normal TV over S-Video. It'll look good, not no way as good as a HD screen.

Soldato
The DVD spec is nominally (MPEG2 MP@ML stream). PAL 720×576 NTSC 720×480. They can be upsampled for WS e.g. 852x480 to square the pixels, but at the same scanning lines. They're that or they wouldn't display on SDTV's. I've an upscaling DVD player that has XVGA as its lowest HD output or is that an anamorphic res? That links been winding up AV nuts for years.

There's a massive difference between watching DVD to HD on a big display. On a a 19" monitor? Nah, what's the point.

Last edited:
Caporegime
fornowagain said:
There's a massive difference between watching DVD to HD on a big display. On a a 19" monitor? Nah, what's the point.

Actually on a 19" monitor there is a big difference.

Even though most lcds are limited to 1280x1024 youd still notice a difference from 720x576.

Soldato
Big difference? lol. Its a bit, but not so much, who watch's an HD source from 18" away? Try it at 56" then it becomes relevant. I've seen superbit DVD's better than HD, its the source that counts. You can't seriously argue the case for watching HD on a little monitor. A little bit of ffdshow upscale and filter all you need at 19"

Last edited:
Caporegime
fornowagain said:
Big difference? lol. Its a bit, but not so much, who watch's an HD source from 18" away. Try it at 56" then it becomes relevant. I've seen superbit DVD's better than HD its the source that counts. You can't seriously argue the case for watching HD on a little monitor.

Here I watch hd from about 2 ft away, there isnt a hdtv so I dont have any other option, and Im not the only one and there is a big difference between 480p and 720p.

Caporegime
fornowagain said:
Yeah , your wrong.

Seriously grow up. If you cant discuss it in a proper manner Im not talking about it. Do you really think people would use hd if there wasnt a difference? Either way you cant argue with what I can see right in front of me.

Soldato
Energize said:
Well I can certainly see one.
Of course there is a massive difference, never said there wasen't. But enough to make an serious impact on viewing the difference between a DVD or HD at 19" and 2ft away? No, 30" minimum and 2.5 that for a viewing distance just to get away from the pixels.

It is wrong to advocate HD without the appropriate display. 19" is just to small, there is no point, it's a bit clearer, less grainy. To reiterate, the HD benefits scale far more with a larger display.

Last edited:
Soldato
fornowagain said:
Of course there is a massive difference, never said there wasen't. But enough to make an serious impact on viewing the difference between a DVD or HD at 19" and 2ft away? No, 30" minimum and 2.5 that for a viewing distance just to get away from the pixels.

It is wrong to advocate HD without the appropriate display. 19" is just to small, there is no point, it's a bit clearer, less grainy. To reiterate, the HD benefits scale far more with a larger display.

I would agree with this ( but you should both grow up in regards to your earlier posts)

In general 32" and really 40" + (there arent many standard sizes inbetween) sets is where you really notice the difference, because at 40" and above the space between the lines on a SD broadcast are getting large enough to notice and this is where HDTV comes into its own

With some digitally made films on DVD ( ie Sin City and SW:Ep III) I noticed more clarity on a 26" HDTV, but that could have been because my old 41" rear pro SD set was getting a little long in the tooth.

Soldato
FrankJH said:
( but you should both grow up in regards to your earlier posts)
Yes your quite right, hangs head in shame, I'm sorry :o

he's still wrong though. ;)

For those that are interested, try these so you can see the difference, which as I said is a fair bit. To state the obvious. But I tell you what, if your looking at 19" you can't see the kind of difference it makes on a big telly. No comparison. Forget the aspect ratios, the DVD is anamorphic.

720p

Pal DVD

Last edited:
Caporegime
fornowagain said:
Yes your quite right, hangs head in shame, I'm sorry :o

he's still wrong though. ;)

:rolleyes:

Those pictures are messed up, the 1280x720 one is really blocky and the pal one looks better, both pictures are different sizes so you cant compare.

You might want to try looking at hd on a 19" monitor, it looks a lot better then sd.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom