• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7900GT swap to X1800xt?

Associate
hmmm..could well be fretting for nothing but I ordered a 7900GT after reading about the simple volt mod in another thread. Now I see all this panic about current 7900 chips and am wondering whether to send the 7900GT straight back unopened and swap it for an X1800xt.
I know all the arguments for & against ATI/NV so fan boys need not reply lol

I just want a card that I can run straight from the box without having to test for borked chips etc. What would you do?

Associate
OP
ok fair enough I will stop fretting lol (will make sure I keep all the packaging though).

-Exactly what tests should I do on the card to make sure it's not a duffer? Would like to find out as early as possible if its a good one or not.

-Is it possible to test for all problems before I volt mod it or can these chip problems people have been moaning about occur at any clock speed or voltage?

Associate
OP
not got BF2 :/

In fact the only modern game I have is Oblivion. Not got anything more recent than 2k3 -apart from Far Cry & Doom3 demos [plus I'm skint now until end of June].
Downloading 3d mark 05 + 06 now so I will have something to test it with. Anything else I can download that will stress the card enough to show up any faults?

Soldato
It's only because i'm having a hell of a time trying to overclock this, but if he wants a card straight out of the box he should swap with me, wouldnt you agree? :D

Associate
OP
I am planning to volt mod the card & clock the bejesus out of it thus wiping the floor with your X1800 :D but if its gonna be an RMA job I want it to fail at stock voltages otherwise I can imagine a conversation with OcUK tech support along the lines of:

"so the artifacting only occurs when you apply conductive paint to the card thus voiding your warranty?"

"erm...yes"

"ok. bye. [click]"

Soldato
I doub tit would wipe the floor with the x1800xt, mines currently over 10K with not much effort with only a 65 increase on the core but over 150 increase on the memory, but thats no where near the limit just the first number I got in my head to try lol.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2038718

It's 100% stable at this but the card has soo much to go, im running it at 1.325V core - the max you can take these is 1.575 with watercooling i can imagine I could score of 12K with this card, on air i'll be happy with over 11K.

That scores increase btw to over 10,600 when I change my ram from 2,2,2,5 @ 190fsb to 2.5,3,3,7 at 240fsb but my rams not fully stable at that i'll have to figure out how to overclock my ram properly its some ocz plats.

Associate
Vegeta said:
I doub tit would wipe the floor with the x1800xt, mines currently over 10K with not much effort with only a 65 increase on the core but over 150 increase on the memory, but thats no where near the limit just the first number I got in my head to try lol.

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=2038718

It's 100% stable at this but the card has soo much to go, im running it at 1.325V core - the max you can take these is 1.575 with watercooling i can imagine I could score of 12K with this card, on air i'll be happy with over 11K.

That scores increase btw to over 10,600 when I change my ram from 2,2,2,5 @ 190fsb to 2.5,3,3,7 at 240fsb but my rams not fully stable at that i'll have to figure out how to overclock my ram properly its some ocz plats.

I can imagine you struggling getting past 12k! :D I can't quite see you getting past 790 or around there on the core, and a little over 900 on memory. The rest of your hardware most be incredible then! :)

Soldato
With watercooling i reckon it could be done, cmon some of you users here must have quality ram/chip and a x1800xt on water cooling, tell us what scores your getting! i'm on a crappy cabage opteron [email protected], ram at 190fsb and a minute overclock scoring past 10k.

Caporegime
Yeah it will wipe the floor with an x1800, only thing they forget to mention is they are on about A VOLT MODDED OVERCLOCKED 7900 GT against a STOCK x1800, which we all know aint fair is it. :D

Back
Top Bottom