• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

7800 GT - upgrade options

Associate
Hi All,

I am considering my next buying option for my pc. Reason being I want to improve my video set up. I am considering a couple of options.

1. Selling my Zalman cooled 7800 GT and going for a X1800 XT - i know I am going to take a hit on my 7800.. just wondering if it is best doing it now.

2. Changing my Mono, buying another 7800 GT and going for an SLI set up.

Any thoughts?

Soldato
I feel your pain - I'm in exactly the same boat at the moment and considering the 78GT's are going for about £135 in the MM at the moment I am sorely tempted to go SLi. Not sure you'd achieve much by upgrading to the 1800XT but each to their own.

What games are you hoping to improve through your upgrade - not all are helped by Sli - some actually get worse! - how about getting another monitor instead?

Too many choises - not enough cash ;)

(And look how cheap the 7900GT's are at the moment! Might be worth it considering the upgrade would only cost about £60 -selling yours for £135- and the performance should be similar to 2x78GT in most games unless you're running a Dell 30" at silly resolutions :p )

Caporegime
The best option would be to sell the 7800 GT and get a 7900 GT.
No point getting a new mobo to go SLI.
The cost of the upgrade should be small and offer superb performance for the outlay.

Associate
I went from a 7800gt to a x1800xt, and there really wasn't much of an improvement. Only in oblivion and cod2 there was a bit of improvement, but not enough to warrant the hassle of changing. All other games run about the same. The ati drivers are a nightmare too, going from nvidia to ati for the first time can be a real pain in the backside. Plus mine isn't very overclockable, it barely goes past stock before artefacts start appearing. It's still a good card for the money, but not worth the upgrade.

Like the guy above said, you should probably go for a 7900gt, 7800gt sell on ebay for almost the same price.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
thanks for the response everyone.

It always is the case with an upgrade that what I have bought today at 300 pounds.. is superceeded quickly. I built my new rig in feb after deciding my old Nf7-s has had its day!! I don't know if it is me..but components now seem to be out of date the minute you have installed them!!

I am playing (for the 4th time) COD 2 and also half life 2.

I am struggling to accertain why people are bothing with SLI if the increases are minimal in some cases.

Ugly Ferret: your post is quite interesting. If have read rave reviews about the X1800XT (being roughly speaking 30 quid less than the 7900gt and more powerful. custom PC mag june 2006).. I suppose it is all down to want you want to play on your rig which effects the spec it needs to be.

Oh well. I might just hang on for the time being until the "latest games" that I actually want won't play on my rig!

.. and then come to think about it... I might just get myself a Intel Pentium 4 805 that will Iron my shirts and do my 9-5 for me. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom