Farewell Time

Associate
The time has come to move on.

Sadly, I am leaving Team OcUK for pastures new.

Somehow, for me at least, all the fun and drive that once helped this team to the Worlds Finest has faded away, especially the SETI aspects.

I'd not really ever thought of leaving, but an invitaion was issued and it just seemed the right thing to do - In short, I was Pimped :D

I'll pop by occasionally I guess to see how things are going, and I wish you all, all the best.

BTW, this is too good an opportunity to miss a spot of pimping...

Anyone looking for what I think is a great and vital BOINC/SETI Team (and all other projects) is very welcome to come and take a look at BOINC UK and Team Lookers, I think you'll like what you see and join :D

TTFN
Mike

Soldato
Berserker said:
Shame to see you go, but sadly I understand your sentiments. This team is a shadow of it's former self and I'm really not sure what to do about that. :(

I understand your thinking as well, Mike, and I'm not sure what to do about the decline of the team either. The Folding team still seems to be doing OK but the other DC teams seem to be sinking without trace. For now, we're still the sixth biggest BOINC team in the world, but we used to be fighting SETI.Germany and now their output is over 300% of ours. I think the dividing influence of BOINC is a lot to do with it - we were never the biggest team in terms of members but when everyone was united behind SETI Classic the sense of cameraderie was much better. Now there are so many different BOINC projects, and lots of people have left for Folding...

But what to do? Any attempt to get all our eggs back into one basket is probably fruitless as people have found their own favourite projects - I, for one, am unlikely to be coaxed back to BOINC. Yet surely there must be a way to stop the glory days receding into the past? What strikes me is that there's such a huge user base on this forum - 500-700 users online at any one time. Yet despite our efforts most of them seem completely uninterested in DC. I personally believe that the demographic of the forums is not as technically-minded as it used to be. Previously we had endless threads full of CPU-Z screenshots and overclocking tips, and a lot of that seems to have vanished as the spamfest which is GD has come to dominate the forum. Once upon a time, GD and GH had similar post counts. Now GD is nine times the size. I can't say it's a change I've been too happy about. Thinking of ways to appeal to this new crowd is certainly a tricky one. But the good ship OcUK cannot go down!

Last edited:
Soldato
Farewell Mike :( Funnily enough Ive just this minute come from there, I was reading the how did you find us thread.

Although its a shame you are going, I can't blame you. Good luck. :)

TDF.

Back
Top Bottom