Vista performance with IE7 and office 2007

Soldato
All this software is from MSDN before anyone asks.
I wanted to try and test what it would be like running Windows Vista on a top end system today. I thought Beta 2 would give as very good indication.

There is a tool in Vista to give a mark out of 5 (i believe its five not ten)

Conclusion:

Still in the early stage (Beta2) but i am impressed. Got all the drivers on from Nvidias website and this thing flys.
I quite impressed tonight, i am planning to keep this as my main OS for the time being for beta testing.
So if any of you guys and gals have any question to ask them fire them in my direction, I am happy to help.

Dave

Soldato
What makes you think the overall rating is out of 5 when the sub ratings for some components are over five? If this 'benchmark' is expected to have a meaningful life in coming years then isn’t it more likely out of 4?

Soldato
janesssssy said:
There is a tool in Vista to give a mark out of 5 (i believe its five not ten)
As far as I remember, the mark isn't out of anything at all. It's supposed to be valid for years to come, and as the hardware gets better, the score goes up.

One use is supposedly to put a rating on the box of a piece of software saying 'Vista Requirement: 3', or similar.

Soldato
OP
I havnt tried any games as of yet. I will be tomorrow somtime after some MTB.

Most programs works such as winamp and Nero7. thats about all ive tried so far. Well, anti virus doesnt work :rolleyes: you have to go to the MS site and that points you to CA's Etrust ;
linky
Tomorrow i will post up some benchmarks etc.

Soldato
OP
csmager said:
As far as I remember, the mark isn't out of anything at all. It's supposed to be valid for years to come, and as the hardware gets better, the score goes up.

One use is supposedly to put a rating on the box of a piece of software saying 'Vista Requirement: 3', or similar.

Ive done some research and your totaly right.
I think 4 is about right for these days, although im sure if you had SLI cards with 512 sure you would get a rating of 4.5 or 5. (just a guess)

Soldato
janesssssy said:
Most programs works such as winamp and Nero7.
Really? Nero 7 bombed out at the last part of the installation on me. Ah well.

My laptop has a rating of 2 - and Vista B2 really sucks quite badly on it.

I've installed it on two other desktops with similar ratings/specs as my laptop, and it flies on them. Not sure what's wrong really.

Desktop 1: Athlon XP 2400+, 512Mb RAM, 9600SE 256Mb
Desktop 2: Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5Gb RAM, 9600XT 256Mb
Laptop: Pentium M 1.86Ghz, 512Mb RAM, X600 128Mb.

Getting some more RAM for the laptop, as the peak committ on all 3 is over 1Gb. Suppose that might come down a bit towards RTM though.

Soldato
Energize said:
Some strange maths there.
It's a weighted average, as some things are deemed more important than others. No one knows how it's weighted and adjusted to give the overall rating, as MS haven't told us yet.

Soldato
OP
csmager said:
Really? Nero 7 bombed out at the last part of the installation on me. Ah well.

My laptop has a rating of 2 - and Vista B2 really sucks quite badly on it.

I've installed it on two other desktops with similar ratings/specs as my laptop, and it flies on them. Not sure what's wrong really.

Desktop 1: Athlon XP 2400+, 512Mb RAM, 9600SE 256Mb
Desktop 2: Athlon XP 2600+, 1.5Gb RAM, 9600XT 256Mb
Laptop: Pentium M 1.86Ghz, 512Mb RAM, X600 128Mb.

Getting some more RAM for the laptop, as the peak committ on all 3 is over 1Gb. Suppose that might come down a bit towards RTM though.

Its all about the drivers imo.

Soldato
janesssssy said:
Its all about the drivers imo.
I agree. What's surprising is that the two desktops are as old as the hills - one has an nForce2 board, support for which has been woeful from nVidia in terms of Vista drivers. The other has a VIA chipset.

The laptop is a Dell Latitude D810. Just about everything's fairly new & Intel. Plus on the Channel9 videos, I've seen people at MS using the exact same model! Ah well, I'm sure it'll improve by RTM.

Associate
If your anything like me you'll get sick of clicking yes to the dialog box that pops up evertime you want to change a setting of some kind. It drove me nuts when is was playing around with it.

Soldato
GM@N said:
If your anything like me you'll get sick of clicking yes to the dialog box that pops up evertime you want to change a setting of some kind. It drove me nuts when is was playing around with it.
Then turn it off:

Start | Run | msconfig. Click the Tools tab, and chose 'Disable UAP'. Reboot, job done.

Back
Top Bottom