New Car

Soldato
Well the time has come, my 1.0 Corsa must go, i'm looking to get a new car in the next couple of weeks..my budget is 6.5k to spend, this is including some money of the sale of my Corsa. Insurance won't be included in this budget which helps.

Car can't have an engine bigger than a 1.4 unfortunately.

What are my options?

Thanks.

Man of Honour
Why can't it have a bigger engine than 1.4?

You realise engine size is not generally the sole dictator of insurance price, right?

Man of Honour
Tupac said:
Insurance starts getting daft for some reason after 1.4 :confused:

Depends what cars you pick, far more likely to be insurance groups, and something like a Focus 1.6 is, IIRC, a lower group than a Honda Civic 1.4 for example.

Soldato
smaller cars are generally more expensive than larger cars.

Dont limit yourself to 1.4 else you'll just get as bored as you have with your corsa - and quickly.

Soldato
As said above, insurance groups aren't directly related to engine size. You might find that a larger car with a higher insurance group is cheaper to insure than a small car with a lower insurance group!

What do you want from a car? Handling? Driver enjoyment? Hatchback/Saloon? Size? Comfort? Crusing ability? Economy? Performance?

Oh, the 400/45 MG is the ZS, not the ZR. The ZR is the 25, the ZT the 75 :p :)

Soldato
Although I live in a nice area. Expensive houses etc... my post code is shared with a council estate a fair few miles away.

Therefore, insurance wise my area is bad.

I have managed to get a quote of just under £100 per month for my Mondeo 2.0.

That's also 1years NCB and 1 non-fault accident.

That was with Barclays and as of now, I cannot find anybody cheaper and have pretty much tried most companies now.

Soldato
Well the insurance group on my 2.3 ltr volvo estate is 12. its not that fast but its not bad either, and thats £650 a year with 0NCB at 21 :) its not all about groups.

Permabanned
If you're set on small car's, the 1.4 Zetec Fiesta will be more fun than your Corsa.

But really I can't help but echo what everyone else has said; Have a look around for cars will decent sized engines but acceptable insurance. They do exist, you just need to search for them. :)

Man of Honour
£6500 is VW Bora TDi money. Now, you hear TDi and think that = high insurance BUT having quoted a lot of cars, the Bora comes out considerably cheaper than anything in the same class, i.e. Golf, Toledo, Octavia etc.. all with the same PD130 engine.

They're great cars for the money, especially the PD130. If insurance is a really big issue then check out the 100bhp or 115bhp PD versions. They'll all be faster and in general a much better car than those in the <1.4 bracket. Go for an SE or a sport version and you'll get plenty of kit with excellent build quality and reliability to go.

Don't waste your time with shopping trolleys, get a proper car. With my details, a Bora works out cheaper to insure than most Fiestas and Clios etc. I don't understand why but it just does. Try quotes with Elephant and Admiral.

Associate
Tesla said:
I have managed to get a quote of just under £100 per month for my Mondeo 2.0.

That's also 1years NCB and 1 non-fault accident.

That was with Barclays and as of now, I cannot find anybody cheaper and have pretty much tried most companies now.

Thats pretty good really for a 19 year old.

Soldato
Tesla said:
Tupac, I think it would be sensible to wait a few months until you are 21 (September?) Insurance drops a fair amount at that age.

Yeah, definately wait til you're 21, you're insurance will drop a bit. especially if you're going to be paying the under 21 premium for a year, even though you'll be 21!

Back
Top Bottom