sn25p help please :)

Associate
hi, im planning on buying the following system in the near future. could you please check that everything is compatible etc and recommend any changes to the system for me? (i.e. graphics card, monitor etc)

________

Shuttle SN25P

Hyundai ImageQuest B91D 19" LCD Monitor - Black

BenQ DW1655 16x16 DVD±RW Dual Layer LightScribe ReWriter (Black) - Retail

BFG GeForce 7900 GT OC 256MB GDDR3 TV-Out/Dual DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail

AMD Opteron UP 170 Dual Core San Diego 2.0GHz 2MB Cache (Socket 939) - Retail

Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000 Extreme Performance Dual Channel Kit (2x1GB) CAS3

Logitech Z-5500 THX® Certified 5.1 505 Watts Speakers - Retail

Enermax Aurora brushed aluminium keyboard - Black

Western Digital Caviar SE16 320GB 3200KS SATA-II 16MB Cache - OEM

Zalman VF900-CU Quiet Copper VGA Cooler

should i get two smalled HDDs and set them up in RAID or just get the one larger drive?

any feedback would be helpful, thanks

//nebs

EDIT: if you have any comments on the speakers please post in this topic

Associate
order a spare SATA cable just in case [I had to replace mine in 25, ones in 26 seem fine]

all above kit should be fine [I can only confirm OCZ and Corsair for mem] and a good idea to get the Zalman for the GT

my 170 sits happily at 250 HTT in my SN26P, but you should get it to 270+ if you have the right bios in your 25P [one or 2 of the bioses max out at 250]

I'd always go for a single larger HD than multiples in a Shuttle as it is a significant heat source which you will struggle to keep cool at best of times

Associate
OP
chaparral said:
I would drop the 7900gt and vf-900 and use the money to buy the ocuk branded 7900gtx 512mb card..

hmmm good idea, however i would loose the pci x1 slot (correct me if im wrong) and i also have no idea how good the OCUK based 7900gtx is... i know i shouldnt realy say that on this forum but yer.... :rolleyes: does anyone have any benchmarks of the OCUK compared to the bfg 7900gt and also the bfg 7900gtx OC 512?

another thing is, i cant seem to find the wireless add-on to the 25 p on the site, do you not stock this part?

//nebs

Associate
nebs said:
hmmm good idea, however i would loose the pci x1 slot (correct me if im wrong) and i also have no idea how good the OCUK based 7900gtx is... i know i shouldnt realy say that on this forum but yer.... :rolleyes: does anyone have any benchmarks of the OCUK compared to the bfg 7900gt and also the bfg 7900gtx OC 512?

another thing is, i cant seem to find the wireless add-on to the 25 p on the site, do you not stock this part?

//nebs

the x1 pci-e slot is nearly useless imo, also the ocuk card i had was xfx(with xfx instructions stickers and cd) and clocks like a dream.

ocuk cards are either xfx or point of view anyways, both top brands.

the 7900gtx is such a good deal at that price its almost criminal to spend nearly as much on a 7900gt and zalman vga cooler(nvidia cards run cool anyways which makes it a bit of a duff buy).

7900gtx mate for sure.

Associate
OP
AceCard said:
the x1 pci-e slot is nearly useless imo, also the ocuk card i had was xfx(with xfx instructions stickers and cd) and clocks like a dream.

ocuk cards are either xfx or point of view anyways, both top brands.

the 7900gtx is such a good deal at that price its almost criminal to spend nearly as much on a 7900gt and zalman vga cooler(nvidia cards run cool anyways which makes it a bit of a duff buy).

7900gtx mate for sure.

ok ill get the gtx then :)
...only problem is that pci-e slot, i know its useless atm but i was thinking of getting a tv tunner later although i can get a usb one i supose, but the main reason for wanting to keep it is for when a pci-e x-fi sound card gets released, or is there no point? - what is the onboard sound like?)

//nebs

EDIT:
bah, its starting to get more expensive now, the car is still £100 extra (£85 without the fan... bah)

Last edited:
Associate
nebs said:
ok ill get the gtx then :)
...only problem is that pci-e slot, i know its useless atm but i was thinking of getting a tv tunner later although i can get a usb one i supose, but the main reason for wanting to keep it is for when a pci-e x-fi sound card gets released, or is there no point? - what is the onboard sound like?)

//nebs

EDIT:
bah, its starting to get more expensive now, the car is still £100 extra (£85 without the fan... bah)

but then 512mb ram is going to be essential to run games with eye candy soon(graw,oblivion,quake4,tomb raider legend etc are good examples of this).

think about it mate, as originally i went for something with 256mb memory and within 2 months upgraded to a 7900gtx.

worth every penny tbh for an extra 69 squid.

or there is the gainward 7900gt 512mb? quicker than basic 7900gt but slightly slower than the gtx(but has the 512mb mem).

Last edited:
Associate
OP
ok ok ill try and save up a bit longer (was allready going over my budget) :)

ill get the gtx :p

any one got an answer to the wireless adapter?

also someone said something about the differant bios' is it safe to presume that the ones OCUK have in stock will be the "better" ones?

//nebs

~J~

~J~

Soldato
nebs said:
could you pm me?

Well the forums don't have a PM system, and you've not set up your account fully so I can't email you. Best thing to do before we both get into trouble with the dons is that you email me (it's in my trust) and I'll certainly be able to offer some advice on the wireless card.

Back
Top Bottom