• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opty 170 against P4 805 Temps?

Nem

Nem

Associate
'lo all

I've currently got a opteron 170 dual core overclocked at 2.6Ghz the same as the FX60. It's running rock solid at this speed and has done for 4-5 months since I bought it.

Now the only problem is that I can't get any higher speed out of it due to the temps climbing rapidly at anything over this speed. I've got a full custom water cooling setup which used to keep my overclocked opty 146 at 3Ghz around 35deg c. So I know it's reasonable at cooling, but I also know these dual cores are a lot hotter.

So with these new P4 805's overclocking very well I'm thinking of going for a complete change and switching to Intel. Anyone care to make a guess if I'm going to get any benefit out of it, or if the temps will be any lower with the P4? I know it normally depends on what I'm using it for to make a comparison, but any general info would be apppreciated.

Nick

Associate
keep the opty hands down mate the 2.6 ghz opty will own a pent d 805 @ 3.8 gHz and the pent d will be really running hot as its 2 prescotts shoved together dont get me wrong the pentium d is a nice cpu but i got one cos it was the best i could afford

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
Cheers mate. Thats all the convincing I needed. I'll keep the current setup then. I've got the Asus A8N32-SLI and 1Gb of Geil Ultra-X with the opty 170 all running at 260HTT and a X1900XTX too so there's not much it's can't do anyway.

It's only annoying as I know this chip will do 3Ghz as I've done it, but the temps were way above what I call acceptable. The board and ram will both do 300HTT and so will the cpu so it's just to cooling now.

Thanks

Nick

Soldato
Up to 60C is fine, as long as its stable.

If it is reaching 60C on water then either your at the limit of ** heatsink/rad and need to turn your fans up :)

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
The 2Gb of ram idea looks good, I'll see about that I think. I just know that the 1Gb I have now is very good stuff, original Geil Ultra-X PC3200 which hapily does 300HTT speeds.

As for temps the bios reports about 10deg above my on cpu temp probe. The probe is saying 36deg c now clocked at 2.5Ghz sat doing nothing.

I'll have a play later today and see how it fairs at higher speeds.

Thanks

Nick

Nem

Nem

Associate
OP
So after having a good play today I've actually managed quite a lot.

By putting all the fans on full I dropped the motherboard temp in the bios from 45deg to 34deg in about 15 mins, in the same time the cpu bios temp reading dropped from 44deg to 36deg. The temp probe on the cpu went from 39deg down to 31deg.

So with such a dramatic drop I started to gain clockspeed. I've gone up from 2.6Ghz with 1.375vcore to 2.8Ghz using 1.425vcore. The bios cpu temp is now at 40deg idle and now is not going over 45deg playing games.

So the fans at full are stupidly loud. I've got a full heatercore for the watercooling with 2x 120mm delta type fans on it. In front of that I've got 2x 80mm normal fans drawing air in and then 2 more 80mm fans extracting air, 1 on the rear and 1 on the case roof. So I've left all the 80mm ones on full which is fine but turned the shroud ones down to about half (normally they are almost off) and the noise is still noticable but is ok I think.

So with the fans all adjusted the cpu temp in the bios is 44deg with the cpu running at 2.8Ghz with 1.425vcore. Playing a game it goes up to about 48deg which is still fine by me. The cpu temp probe is reading 35 deg at idle.

Thanks for the push to have another go at it everyone. Only problem is I'll be pushing for 3Ghz now! I know it will do it as I has done before before I thought the temps were too high, but I feel it may be on the cards now, even if I have to have the fans on full :)

Nick

Back
Top Bottom