Is this 30D package worth it?

Associate
I was planning to pick up a 20D until the 30D was announced... my initial plan was to pick up a 350D with a range of lenses but I didn't find the 350D too comfortable after comparing it with a 20D. I'm not rich so I need a good walkabout lense that accompanies the new camera whilst borrowing my uncle's range of Canon lenses until I can afford some new ones :p

The camera will be used for interior and exterior shots of buildings (varying light levels for the interior, although I'll probably nick my uncle's flash), wildlife and scenery. There will also be quite a few photos of flowers.

The package I've come across includes:
Canon EOS-30D
EF-S 17-85 f/4-5.6 IS USM
Sandisk Extreme III 2GB

The price is £1149, which is tempting and also the lowest I've seen anywhere although I could save almost half the cost for picking up a 350D. Is this a good price and would you recommend the 17-85 lense as a suitable walkabout lense as oppose to the original EF-S 18-55 f/3.5-5.6?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
The 17-85 is said to have a fair bit of distortion fwhen shooting things like buildings and architecture so take that into consideraton!

It is also said that there are various QC issues with sharpness as many people complained about it and softness at certain focal lengths or when wide open.

Have you checked out the Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX lens? it's an excellent alternative and is able to get very close to flowers and things whilst being sharp at 2.8. It also got quality award from AP mag a while back :)

SCM

SCM

Associate
Shop around for a 20D package if you can as you will save some money, as the difference between the 2 is minimal as they only changed a few things. Also with the 20D being discontinued bargains could be had, letting you get a better lens with the saved cash.

Also get 2 1gb cards in case there is ever an error on the card as losing a 2gb full can be painful as some here have said in the past.

SCM

Associate
OP
mrk said:
Have you checked out the Sigma 18-50 2.8 EX lens? it's an excellent alternative and is able to get very close to flowers and things whilst being sharp at 2.8. It also got quality award from AP mag a while back
I'm not a huge fan of Sigma products. I haven't had good experience with their products in their past (their Flash range in particular) though I'll check it out :)

SCM said:
Shop around for a 20D package if you can as you will save some money, as the difference between the 2 is minimal as they only changed a few things. Also with the 20D being discontinued bargains could be had, letting you get a better lens with the saved cash.

Also get 2 1gb cards in case there is ever an error on the card as losing a 2gb full can be painful as some here have said in the past.
Everyone I've asked has told me to edge towards the 30D for its spot metering mode whilst the same people I asked about the 20D insisted I should save my money and get the 350D :confused:

I'm not too worried about the memory cards, the 2Gb seems like a pretty good deal with the camera. I already have a 512Mb card as a backup :)

SCM

SCM

Associate
The thing is for a saving of roughly £200 from the 30D to the 20D is spot metering going to be that much missed. Have a look at Junes Practical Photography as they are running through the main camera types and highlighting the pros, cons and what they think is the best route for people budget wise.

SCM

Associate
OP
SCM said:
The thing is for a saving of roughly £200 from the 30D to the 20D is spot metering going to be that much missed.
Wouldn't I save myself nearly £300 from a 20D by getting a 350D, which has very similar features? The saving of nearly £500 from a 30D to a 350D allows me to invest on an additional lense or two, spare battery and the grip for the 350D too :p

Now I'm just confused... is the 30D not worth the investment? (don't make me walk down the same path I did with my brand new Corsa :D)

SCM

SCM

Associate
A lot of magazines basically say if you can get the 20D go for it, as the added features on the 30D aren't in their opinion worth the extra £200 between the 20D and the 30D.

I say 20D but choice is yours, as the difference saved in money between the 30D and the 20D would let you get a better lens with the camera than the 17-85mm. As this has softness issues at certain zooms.

For handling the 20D is far better for me than the 350D which is why i got the 20D last year.

SCM

Associate
The 30D has more than just spot metering there is a host of upgrades over the 20D.If you have a 20D then maybe the upgrade to a 30D may not be worth it for you but anything else and its well worth the upgrade. At just over £800 high street price its much cheaper than the 20D when it was released. I upgraded from a 10D the picture quality is no different with the 20D or 30D imo but the speed and other features are worth it..I still think the feel and build quality of the 10D is much better than the 20D/30D with a quiet and silky smooth shutter..IMO..

Back
Top Bottom