Games Crashing

Soldato
I play a fair few games on my pc, recently its started to crash on games, the screen 'locks' as in you can just see the last picture to show and the sound just repeats really quickly and creates a really annoying noise. The only way to get out of it is to reset the whole pc. The thing is its only done it on EA sports games (NFL 2006, Tiger Woods 2006 mostly). I've played what i would consider to be more 'hardware intensive' games (FEAR, Quake 4, COD 2, NFSMW) all pretty much maxed out and never had a single lock up. I also play these EA games settings maxed out btw. My rig (see sig) should be capable of playing these properly shouldn't it? Its slightly overclocked (cpu and gfx card) but im almost certain its not overheating. Anyone got any advice? Thanks

Soldato
Hlebio said:
RAM maybe? Tried running memtest?

Sounds like RAM to me. I had similar problems when I first built my PC and it turned out motherboard detected RAM timmings wrong. Unreal Tournament (None-EA) would never crash, but The Sims 2 would pratically crash every 5 minutes (what a coincerdence, an EA game? :rolleyes: ). Check you ram with memtest, then check they're seated right. Also check timmings in BIOS and try swapping them around :)

Soldato
OP
Ok thanks guys the memory seems most likely to me as well. The RAM i've got is:

Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2PT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-079-CS)

When i first installed it it was set at the wrong timings (cant remember what they were tbh, think maybe 3-4-4-8) so i had to bring them down to what they are specified to (2-3-3-6), maybe there's some other settings i should have changed as well??? (Mobo: Asus A8N-SLi Premium nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-111-AS))

I'll get memtest and give that a run as well tho, thanks for your help guys.

PS. if it is memory could i just turn down some of the settings within the games that crash cos other games run fine???

Soldato
I had same problem for over 3 months, using the specified timings of 2/3/2/5 & using auto voltage on my G.Skill ZX - if I increased the voltage or lowered it I got errors, anyway I ran memtest for a good 8 hours on auto voltage everything came out ok but like maybe once or twice within say 4 hours of gaming maybe right away or later on the freeze would freeze in a game or the pc would try to reboot itself & fail to boot. I ended up buying some new Corsair Ram & now everything is totally fine, can uses any voltages within its spec without problems. I'm guessing its your ram - run memtest for 24 hours with each stick in. I've got to RMA my old Ram then sell second hand kinda sucks - you got any old ram you can use while you RMA your Ram if it IS the ram?

Back
Top Bottom