Cheap Runaround

Soldato
I've been contemplating a cheap runaround instead of spending £5000 or so on a Ford Focus.

I found a (98) Peugeot 306 1.4 Miami (Special Eds) for £650 with 80,000 miles on the clock. MOT till Jan 2007, Tax till end of June 2006. Insurance is not too bad either, £800 full comp through Bell.co.uk.

It makes sense as I won't be doing that many miles a year, about 8,000 so seems alright a runaround for a year at least, especially since it seems under priced so might be able to get same back come this time next year?

pug.jpg

Worth it? Anyone know the specifications for the car, I can't seem to find them anywhere for the Miami model.

Thanks,

BeatMaster :D

Caporegime
For £650, if its in as good nick as the photo would have you believe, and its mechanically sound, I really don't think specification would matter too much. Seems like a good deal to me for what appears to be a good condition phase 2.

EDIT: It would appear the Miami is a pretty bargain-basement model, nothing really in the way of creature-comforts or toys. Most likely just PAS, Radio Cassette, and an electric sunroof (but no electric windows).

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Will be ringing about it tomorrow as the garage is closed. Any suggestions on what to check over?

Already done an RAC check to see how many owners its had, only had 2 so things look okay there...tend to stay clear of cars with many owner changes :eek:

No point really doing a HPi check until I know its actually still for sale, which HPi check to do though? Text Check?

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
BeatMaster said:
tend to stay clear of cars with many owner changes

y out of interest? It's something that's never bothered me, hell by 30k my 172 was on it's 5th or 6th owner (I actually can't remember lol) :)

Soldato
Generally if a car has had a large number of owners it might not have been as well looked after or maintained as a car with few owners. It could also signal possible problems with the car if no one keeps it for more than a year

It's not always the case - I'm the fourth owner on a 52 reg MG with 37,000 miles and it's well looked after and maintained. The previous owner had planned to keep hold of it before his circumstances changed

Soldato
OP
Hate said:
It'll prob be closed tomorrow, too

Open 11-3 tomorrow, hope it's not a pricing error either. i.e. meant to be £1,650 :(

Although it's that price on their website and on autotrader so with any luck it is £650 and it's in good nick :)

Will let you know though. HPI checks tho, what should I do?

EDIT:

It should hopefully be still there as on their website it has: Last updated: Saturday 27-05-2006 at 03:56PM

Also if thats the case, it'll hopefully be £650 too :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Alarm bells are ringing now.

So, lets see what we have here:

a) A very popular small car - the 306 is an easy to sell car becuase everyone wants them, despite the fact they are not exactly amazing
b) Perfect engine size for a new driver - so a small hatchback with a good first-car engine, lots of demand for cars like this
c) Not actually THAT old, and it's a tidy looking Phase 2 in a good colour, yet more good stuff...
d) Only 80,000 miles, so bang on average mileage

But....

e) It's being sold for just £650...
f) .... by a trader, whose very job is to get as much money for his cars as is possible.

It doesn't add up.

Soldato
OP
[TW]Fox said:
Alarm bells are ringing now.

So, lets see what we have here:

a) A very popular small car - the 306 is an easy to sell car becuase everyone wants them, despite the fact they are not exactly amazing
b) Perfect engine size for a new driver - so a small hatchback with a good first-car engine, lots of demand for cars like this
c) Not actually THAT old, and it's a tidy looking Phase 2 in a good colour, yet more good stuff...
d) Only 80,000 miles, so bang on average mileage

But....

e) It's being sold for just £650...
f) .... by a trader, whose very job is to get as much money for his cars as is possible.

It doesn't add up.

According the advert, it says *cheapie to clear, we need the space* so perhaps that could account for this? :confused:

Soldato
I'd agree with with Fox. Just doesnt add up. If its the sort of garage that doesnt sell cars that old they'd just ring up a trader and get it picked up for more than that, or put it through auction. Its about £300 under trade price and there will be a reason for it.

Soldato
OP
Just rang up...car is still there and it's £650 :) Now the question to find out is why it's £650 and not £1,650...shall be visiting it shortly.

What in particular should I check?

It has partial history according to the guy I spoke to, he wasn't sure if it had the timing belt done or not :eek: Best get checking that service history!

Soldato
Check the cambelt, check that the oil is clear, check the general condition of the car

Make sure that there's no blue smoke coming from the exhaust when you rev it - just check all of the general things you'd check with a used car. Check the brakes, shocks, etc too

I'd also HPI it

Back
Top Bottom