Chop your breakfast on a mirror

Soldato
I'm trying to work out what this Master of Puppets line means.. Can anyone help me? It's quite annoying, it just seems like a random line they stuck in there to make the verse scan.

Permabanned
It's Metallica; you don't expect lyrical mastery or finesse from a band whose only redeemable song starts with the refrain 'Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire, whoo, yeah.' do you?

*n

Soldato
penski said:
It's Metallica; you don't expect lyrical mastery or finesse from a band whose only redeemable song starts with the refrain 'Gimme fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire, whoo, yeah.' do you?

*n

Haha :p

On a side-note too, I've never been a massive Metallica fan. Only like a few of their songs, and they seem pretty overrated in my book.

Soldato
OP
It starts "Fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire"

The chorus starts with "So" - consider yourself schooled.

Metallica are ace...

Trivium cover is better though

Last edited:
Soldato
monkeypants said:
I see, it still makes no sense to me though:

"Pain monopoly,
Ritual misery,
Chop your breakfast on a mirror"

:confused:

Its talking about the consumingly addictive ritual and harm caused by cocaine abuse maybe?

Permabanned
monkeypants said:
It starts "Fuel, gimme fire, gimme that which I desire"

Evidently it didn't leave as big an imprint on my psyche as I previously thought ;)

Metallica are ace...
Musically, I rate them just below Ratt and Warrant. As people, I rate them somewhere between Hitler and Mao Tse Tung.

*n

Soldato
monkeypants said:
Trivium cover is better though

i was going to attempt a useful reply
but you just dont deserve it anymore
you lack taste

i see the whole song as being about drug addiction, i dont think it's massively about personal experience, but it's quite clearly what it's about

Soldato
Wikipedia said:
Master of Puppets features one of Metallica's most famous songs, "Master of Puppets". Clocking in at over eight minutes, the song's structure serves as a kind of metaphor for the topic of control that runs throughout the song (and the entire album). The lyrics refer to drug addiction (evidenced by lines such as "Chop your breakfast on a mirror") as a source for the loss of personal independence and control, however Metallica refrained from using the song for an explicitly anti-drug "message." Instead of saying "drugs are bad, don't do them," the music offers up a compelling and more nuanced argument: "drugs are bad because you will lose all self-control and independence." Moreover, the song implies that the level of ensemble precision required to write and perform the music in "Master of Puppets" cannot be accomplished if one is a slave to a drug addiction.

I was looking for a particular passage which i have read before that states the "Chop your breakfast on a mirror" line was about a particularly remarkable crew member/acquaintance/production team member who used to do Charlie in the morning as "breakfast". As far as I can remember I thought Metallica were relatively free from drugs (as much as a rock band could be!) and main problems were drink particularly in Hetfield and Mustaine (when he was with them). I think Dave Mustaine had drug problems though.

Associate
Metallica were essential up until ...And Justice for All. After that, anything interesting about them dissipated rapidly...The Black Album is extremely boring, over-produced radio metal.

Can't be questioning the first 4 though (except maybe the production on Justice).

Also, Trivium are the worst band ever.

-C

Back
Top Bottom