Temperature Increased :(

Associate
My motherboard temperatures were always <34ºC. I recently changed my PSU from a Qtec 650w to a Seasonic 430w and CPU from 3000+ (2.5ghz) to opteron 146 (2.7Ghz). I also now have an Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 instead of the stock hsf that I had for my 3000+. Ever since I changed these 3 peices of hardware my motherboard temperatures have shot upto 47ºC idle :(.
Im not sure if its reporting it incorrectly or that the upgrade of the hardware has caused it.

Any thoughts welcome!

ps. My case isn't anything special, side panel always off and has been keeping my cpu/gfx/mobo(pre upgrade) cool, so I dont think its the case.

Soldato
A number of possible reasons:

1: New cpu drawing more power, depends where the temperature sensor is, but boards with heatpipe solutions for the chipset linked to the vreg heatsinks will see a temperature increase with a new more powerfull cpu.

2: new cpu cooler doesn't blow air over the chipset/vreg heatsink.

3: Less airflow as a result of the low speed fan in the seasonic.

First step is to find out what the motherboard sensor is actually measuring.

If you need the sidepanel off to keep things cool, you've got problems. Whats up with the gfx? How hot is it getting?

Edit: Ok, i've had a look at that board. Your in luck, you have officially the worst designed chipset cooler ever made.
I have an a8n sli deluxe, same cooler. Get yourself a temperature sensor of some sort and measure it. Clean any dust out of it that there is. Check the fan still spins ok.
A new faster graphics card will increase its temperatures a lot.
Is your chipset cooler in a diamond shape or square shape orientation?
If its square, contact asus for the new updated chipset cooler that actually works.
47 is hot. 50 is too hot i believe. Cooked mine twice tho and it still works.
If you want it to be silent, let me know, there are a couple of way to do this. Be warned the replacement chipset cooler isn't really any quieter than the old one.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you can get an rma and buy a premium, then do.

Its easy enough to replace, but the design is flawed (40x10mm to remove a huge amount of heat) so the replacement from asus isn't much better. It does work, but its noisy.
To replace it, you remove the board and push out the pushpins, then clean it all up and fit the new one.
You could use something like the mCubed Borg NF4 Passive Cooler to get decent cooling and complete silence, but its costly and its awkward.

If you want the replacement one from asus, contact their tech support and they should send you one for free.

For now, see if you can remove the fan, oil it and replace it. This should get it working again temporarily. If that doesn't work, remove the fan and metal plate on top and put a fan near it. I wouldn't play any games on it untill its replaced.

Back
Top Bottom