• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Opteron 170 or 4400 X2

Associate
Hey guys I have looked through the forums a lot for help on choosing my new cpu, and it seems that the Opty 170 and 4400 x2 gets the most votes, so whats the best one? ill mainly be gameing with it but a bit of multitasking to. Thanks for the help guys.

Caporegime
I would get the 170.

They are more stringently tested and dont need as much volts as the 4400's as they are server CPU's

Mine clocks to FX 62 speeds 2.8ghz on 1.36v :D

Caporegime
Mr Mister said:
Why dont you clock further? Is 2.8 a brick wall? doesnt scale?

TBH i haven't tried.

will I really notice 3ghz though? I should give it a go just to see what v core is needed I suppose, but having just started a new job I don't have the time at the mo! :eek:

Last edited:
Caporegime
Mikey1280 said:
As above, how far can your 170 go? You have loads of headroom with volts.

Not tried higher than 2.8ghz.

It did 2.7ghz on stock volts!

I would imagine it would need more than 1.36v for 3ghz and the extra voltage that it would maybe need would not be worth it for 200mhz.

Plus I'm cooling it with a zalman 9500 running at 7v so its silent.I would probably have to increase the fan speed to cool it at 3ghz and again the noise would not be worth 200 mhz.

Permabanned
easyrider said:
Not tried higher than 2.8ghz.

It did 2.7ghz on stock volts!

I would imagine it would need more than 1.36v for 3ghz and the extra voltage that it would maybe need would not be worth it for 200mhz.

Plus I'm cooling it with a zalman 9500 running at 7v so its silent.I would probably have to increase the fan speed to cool it at 3ghz and again the noise would not be worth 200 mhz.

You know you want to clock it. ;)

Come and join the 3G club! :D

Associate
Easyrider-There is however a x2 4400 that will do 3.2 @ 1.45V. On air. Saw someone at a LAN with it clocked to that and my jaw hit the floor, CPU-Z'd it myself and it confirmed it. Mental :(

Back
Top Bottom