Dead PC problem

Associate
I feel like a bit of an idiot for posting this, but its completely baffling me. Also, its in general hardware as I have no idea what is actually causing the problem - I suspect it might be the motherboard, but I'm not entirely convinced.

I have an A8N-SLI deluxe that stopped working this morning (as in it just doesn't turn on, but was working fine last night).

I've tried removing everything but the CPU, taken it out of the case to make sure nothing is shorting, tried using a different switch to make sure it wasn't that, all the usual stuff, but still getting absolutely nothing when I hit the power switch. I don't think its the PSU (Antec Neopower 480) though, as the standby power LED is still lit on the motherboard.

Any suggestions? Ta.

Soldato
I'm assuming you have another PC since you're able to post in the forum, so how about testing the PSU?

Only thing left is process of elimination.

Associate
Is it dead as in no fans spining or drives spinning up??? or are these coming to likfe, just no display on the screen. If it is total dead, then it could well be the PSU, as even though you got the LED lit on the Mobo don't mean that the PSU hasn't, as it don't take much power to light them up.

Every PC that have had a blown PSU I have seen, have always had the LED lit on the board, just nothing else works. Failing that, like said above try another PSU and if that don't work, then it sounds like the Mobo is fried on the chipset, but most likely the PSU is dead.

Anthony

Associate
OP
Nothing happens whatsoever with power on - no fans, beeps, nothing ;) Thats why I mentioned about the switch, it just seemed like the machine was unpowered when I first tried.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll have to try and test the PSU somehow as I don't think I can use the one I have in this machine.

edit: Regarding the chipset, I had to replace the cooler on that about a month after I got the board anyway (and I've had it over a year now) which is why I'm leaning towards the PSU being the problem now.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom