Screwing the motherboard in

Associate
This sounds newbie and all but i just want to keep things as safe for me and the pc as possible. First build ever and i am about to screw a DFI ultra into an akasa eclpise case. No screws with the motherboard and there is three different types that came with the case so i take it its one of these. Just wanted to know does it really matter which type of screw i should use? And should i use all the screw holes available on the motherboard and screw them as tight as possible to keep it secure? I had attempted it a few mins ago and a few of the screws were not reaching the metal casing at the back to secure the motherboard to it so i had to apply a bit of pressure and also when i was screwing a few of them in i could see the motherboard bending and felt uneasy, so just wanted to ask before i continued :D

cheers.

Associate
OP
lol no i had not had them in at the time, just had a quick look on google about 5mins ago and realised thats what was missing. doh X(.
There isnt enough of them to cover all holes though so i just didnt put any in the middle.

The mobo will still be ok wont it?

Suspended
Fit standoffs where there are holes with metal contact spots around the holes on the motherboard, and where there are screw holes on the mobo tray. DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN! As you will damage the motherboard. You only need finger tight with the screwdriver handle, if you're placing handle in the palm of your hand for more torque you're putting to much into it.

Motherboard and case manuals should have instructions. Some motherboards have holes where screws aren't supposed to be fitted, you should be able to tell as there won't be any screw holes inline on the mobo tray.

Associate
OP
yea i finally got it, but there was no manual with my case and the mobo manual only told how to put the side panel back on *laughs*.

Yea, hadnt been doing em tight, was doing them with my hand until they stopped turning and i felt the force of it then stopped. All good :D cheers chaps

Suspended
oh I probably should have said the standoffs themelsves need tightening (otherwise when you remove the screw the standoff will loosen itself and rotate around with the screw) So tighten the standoff with a small spanner. When you fit the screws don't overtighten them..just to clear any confusion.

Suspended
yeah little red washers, I believe to stop star grounding/ground loop or something? I heard you fit all washers bar one? Don't have problems with recent builds with no washers on any between mobo and screw.

Associate
OP
just had another battle ensue with the mobo, except it was the 1900xtx this time lol. Damn thing took up two of the case pci slots and i thought it was going to crush the wee fan on the dfi mobo. Poor bugger. But then it was a right nag trying to get it screwed into the pci slots witht he thumb screws as it had to be tightly held aligned as i screwed them in, but it was victory once again :D

This better be working after all the effort im putting into it /cry.

Back
Top Bottom