Memory not showing dual channel?

Associate
hi all,

My bro's computer is MSI K8n Neo2-FX, 2x512 ddr, a64, venice...but his memory is only reported as being single channel by CPU-Z....any reason why this should be? or what can i do to make it dual channel, its already in slot 1 and 3, is there some kind of program i can use ?

thanks

Associate
OP
i thought they are supposed to go in slots 1 & 3 for dual channel....anyway i will swap them and see if they make a difference...

Plus does memory have to specifically be dual channel, can it not just be that if you have 2 sticks of ddr (the same) then they will work in dual channel, providing your mobo supports them ?

thanks

EDIT: just been on the MSI website and it specifically states that it should be in slots 1 & 3 or slots 2 & 4 to work dual channel....

Also the memory is Kingston PC 3200 RAM 2x512 sticks....

Last edited:
Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
Are you sure the memory is dual channel? What model is it?
That's a good un...no such thing as dual channel memory..........
Motherboard has to allow dual channel..
If there was dual channel memory then how come I use plain old Value ram?
That aint dual channel.

Soldato
I think his point is that there is no such thing as "dual channel memory" as a specific item....

You buy memory and run it in dual channel mode - but you can't actually buy "dual channel memory" - only "memory that is designed and tested to run in dual channel mode"

I THINK thats the point he was trying to make.....

Associate
monkeypants said:
You are clearly an idiot.
So tell where at Overclockers I can find this dual channel memory then...
not at all more like it.
I have been building and servicing pc's long enough to know that there is no such item as dual channel memory.
And yes, I do know all about having to have a motherboard that will run it is dual channel MODE.
And yes, the times I see people cussin about "dual channel"memory not workin on a mother board that was not meant for"dual channel" OR tryin to run"dual channel"memory in single channel mode.ha!
That's a good un.

Associate
I'm pretty sure that when I was looking into what memory to get for my pc I read that MSI boards and kingston memory dont work well togeather at all. To get dual channel on that board then the ram needs to be in slots 1&3 or 2&4, you'll see that the slots are colour coded so the two sticks need to be in the same colour slots. You not got any other sticks of ram you can try to see if its a problem with the ram or not??

Associate
OP
Kool, thanks for the help guys, will try and swap it in slots 2 & 4, just in case it is the RAM, haven't got any other RAM that i could try atm, it is in slots 1 & 3 after all, so i wasn't expecting any problems.....but never mind, i will read into this a little more and will let you know how it goes...

It wasn't bought as a dual channel kit, but instead 2 sticks of exactly the same RAm where purchased...it may be something in BIOS but i will check and see if i can change it...

thanks to all for the help

Associate
musicman53 said:
So tell where at Overclockers I can find this dual channel memory then...
not at all more like it.
I have been building and servicing pc's long enough to know that there is no such item as dual channel memory.
And yes, I do know all about having to have a motherboard that will run it is dual channel MODE.
And yes, the times I see people cussin about "dual channel"memory not workin on a mother board that was not meant for"dual channel" OR tryin to run"dual channel"memory in single channel mode.ha!
That's a good un.

http://corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/tech/trg-rui.html

Soldato
kmistry said:
It wasn't bought as a dual channel kit, but instead 2 sticks of exactly the same RAm where purchased...it may be something in BIOS but i will check and see if i can change it...
If the RAM is from different batches oe stuff then it just may not work in dual channel. I don't think there's anything in the BIOS you can change to make dual channel work unless there's an option to disable DC for some reason (there hasn't been on any motherboard I've ever seen)

Soldato
Foehammer2003 said:
and thats why many sets of RAM are sold as 'matched pairs'... even on OcUK :rolleyes:
It's a gimmick. And yeah, it's really hilarious calling people idiots.

I'm having the same problem on my Asus A8N32-SLI Deluxe. It won't boot up with the RAM in slots 1 + 3. It works fine in single channel mode in slots 1 + 4. Both sticks run in dual channel mode on their own. What's that about?

Back
Top Bottom