DLink DSL Modem Problem

Soldato
I have a DLink DSL-300T modem connected to a DLink DI-624 router. Earlier today my internet decided to stop working. I could still access other computers shared files etc but no internet.
I tried rebooting the modem and router, nothing. Tried resetting the modem and router, nothing. Strange thing was both the modem and router said they were connected and had been allocated an external IP address.
I tried plugging the modem directly into my computer via Ethernet, again it allocated itself an external IP (by this I mean eg: 81.xx.xx.xx as opposed to 192.xx.xx.xx) but the internet still refused to work on that computer.

I decided the modem was at fault so I tried my old BT usb modem connected directly to my computer and it worked fine (now shared with Windows ICS).

Is there something I can do to try and fix the modem or should I return it to DLink?

I have had problems before with this modem/router combo. I even had the modem replaced a while ago. If I was to pick a different brand of modem but keep the router would it work? (eg buying a Linksys ADSL2MUE)

Thanks

Soldato
omg. Exactly the same setup as me and exactly the same problem I have experienced many a time! hurrah I am not alone! :D Can I ask, when this happens if you look in the log on the 300T, does it say CHAP Authentication Failed?

Basically I found to get it to re-work just keep re-entering your logon details and keep clicking disconnect and reconnect on the status page. EVENTUALLY it picks the internet back up. It's a very annoying problem.

I did fix this by simply buying a new all in one Billion ADSL2+ Router, however it has died 8 days after purchase!!!! So I'm back to my Dlink setup.

Soldato
OP
Previously when the internet went down I just unpluged and repluged the power cable back in and it was good for a few more days.
Some one said it might be a DCHP issue between the router and modem so if I got a modem from a different company (eg the Linksys one I mentioned) do you think it would work properly? I dont really fancy buying a new router as well!

I am pretty sure it said that in the log, not 100% though.

How did your new one die 8 days after purchase!?

Soldato
NickM said:
Previously when the internet went down I just unpluged and repluged the power cable back in and it was good for a few more days.
Some one said it might be a DCHP issue between the router and modem so if I got a modem from a different company (eg the Linksys one I mentioned) do you think it would work properly? I dont really fancy buying a new router as well!

I am pretty sure it said that in the log, not 100% though.

How did your new one die 8 days after purchase!?

Hmm a DHCP issue between modem and router? There is an option in the modem for that, I wonder if it can somehow be made static? Not sure, I may have a look at that. :)

I think if you bought for example the Linksys one it couldn't hurt, it should still connect up ok and so that could be a good alternative to try if you think it is the modem.... I think it is as well like. ;)

The new one which I got just died. Woke up one morning and there was no power to it, so I thought that was strange. Tried different sockets and still no juice. I couldn't even open the plug incase it was a fuse, as it is a sealed plug. :(

Back
Top Bottom