Overheating possibly help

Associate
Hi i am new here. Looked at the board previously but never signed up until now.

I have been running my old Asus K7V33 motherboard and AMD Athlon XP 2500+ cpu for a while now in an old case i have lying around.
It always used to run quite hot, the system wasn't overclocked and ran at 63c at idle (using Asus Probe)
I purchased a new artic cooling silentium case and inserted all these components into it. The idle temp now is 71c with the side panel off!

when running games such as battlefield 2, doom 3 etc.. the computer will switch off at random times and there will be nothing to make me assume that the cpu has overheated except when switching the computer back on the motherboard reports "the cpu has failed system check". If i restart the computer once more it will go back into windows but it may crash again.

Any ideas why i have this problem? i am using the same components and the fan constantly runs at 7000+ RPM.

I previously could run my cpu at 2Ghz without any problems and another 30mhz on my graphics card. I thought this case would make it cooler somehow with the sides on.

Soldato
Yes that sounds like its overheating.
Try removing the heatsink and starting again. Clean everything up, apply a small amount of thermal paste to the core and then re-attach the heatsink. Check its properly attached.
Which cpu cooler is it?

Welcome to the forums btw. Be sure to get folding once you have these issues sorted out.

Soldato
With those sorts of temps, it sounds like there's something wrong with the contact between CPU and heatsink.

What heatsink are you using? Is the fan plugged in? (;)) Have you used a small amount of thermal paste between the CPU and heatsink?

Welcome to the forums btw!

Associate
OP
The cpu cooler is a large copper heatsink, it has 2 heat transfer pipes out of one side that run through the fins, its a pretty big beast, the fan is a high speed unit that came with it, i aquired this from a friend who bought something even larger.

The fan is plugged into the motherboard directly and i can monitor its speed with the asus probe.

I will buy some more thermal paste and reattach it.

I need a silent fan as my pc sounds like it has a jet engine inside, any reccomendations?

Soldato
What size fan is it?
Any nexus fan will be completely silent.
For a better cfm/noise ratio, look for a panaflo.
Theres a lot more to silent computing to replacing a fan i'm afraid. You will need to temporarily stop each fan in the system in turn to locate sources of noise. The graphics card and harddisk are probably quite noisy.

When you re attach the heatsink, make sure both the heatsink and the core are cleaned properly, and the thermal paste is applied like so.
Make sure the heatsink itself is firmly clamped to the core.

Associate
OP
I think its a 2" fan, currently the PC is pretty quiet. The hard drive sits in its aluminium caddy and doesn't make a whisper and the 4 other fans don't appear to make any noise whatsoever.

The CPU fan makes all the noise in this case unfortunately.

Is it worth replacing the heatsink at the same time? There seem to be some interesting designs out now.

Soldato
You could consider the ThermalRight SI-97 combined with a panaflo 80mm fan if that heatsink is better than your current one.
You could also try undervolting your current fan, you may find that once the heatsink has been cleaned up and reseated temperatures will be fine with the fan at a lower speed.

Associate
OP
Well i am just about to order some new thermal compound, Arctic silver 5 is currently the best stuff about at the moment isn't it?

i can get it for £4.64inc VAT + £3.30 shipping, know anywhere cheaper.

I guess once i have cleaned it up then i can take a look at replacing the fan, never know if it runs cooler the fan may not need to turn itself on full, the asus motherboard apparently can adjust the fan speed itself and does slow down to 5000rpm sometimes, usually only on booting.

Soldato
Yes, arctic silver is pretty good. Can't mention competitors i'm afraid but i would say that postage is a bit expensive.

Asus q-fan will slow the fan down, it can be configured in the bios.

Associate
OP
After cleaning up the CPU and using arctic silver 5 my cpu is running at 51c, the motherboard is running at 30c, the CPU temp has crept up since switching it on (it started at 41c) but it seems to have stablised.

The fan isn't even kicking in at maximum speed :)
4500rpm is my idle speed.

These temps are a lot better than what i was getting before, maybe i can go back to overclocking it again.

what do you think is acceptable with the motherboard/cpu combination.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom