Avast OR NOD32

Soldato
About to do a clean system install of xp pro x64 (reformat due to messing it up to much) and am considering changing AV.
Currently using avast & have heard good reports about nod32 (not using much resourses and the like.)

So, is it worth the change?
How much better is NOD32 than Avast? (I mainly game on my rig)
TY
Ed

Soldato
I've used both before. Free Avast v paid for nod32 though. I prefer nod32, it updates silently. So quietly I have to check manually that it has updated. In comparison you get a window popping up when Avast has updated.

The best comparison to make would be to try out out the paid for versions of Avast and nod32 but I haven't done that with Avast.

You can get a trial version of nod32 here. I think the Professional version of Avast has a better updates system, whether it is silent I don't know.

All in all I prefer nod32 over Avast for ease of use, aesthetics, effectiveness and OMG:eek:ItUpdatesSoSilentlyness. ;)

Your best bet would be to try the nod32 trial. nod32 has never interfered with my gaming. I don't game online and I don't know if you do but I doubt nod32 would interfere with that at all. Potentially the update window for Avast could cause a game to halt and switch to the desktop. This would be pretty infuriating.

I'll end my post by saying I heavily regret not getting a 2 or 3 year licence for nod32. It cost me £23 for 1 year, but 2 and 3 year licences cost £35 and £46 respectively (for one PC mind). So had I paid for 2 years I would have saved £11 and £23 for a 3 year licence.:eek: Next time however.:D;)

Soldato
Well a jump to NOD32 is a major boost but if you want the best in the business then you want Kaspersky which is better than NOD32.

But again, a jump to NOD32 is well worth it but I'd prefer jumping Kaspersky.

kbc

kbc

Associate
sr4470 said:
Kasperky caused my system to halt the first time I opened an image file or started a game, however its been fine since then.

Been reading some reviews on Kaspersky, heard that it actually reduces bandwidth, say like when you're downloading or surfing? Is this true?

kbc

kbc

Associate
sr4470 said:
Havent noticed that. :confused:

I'm deciding on whether to use NOD or Kaspersky, I've got a firewall already - i.e. ZoneAlarm.

Don't want to hijack this thread - but I do like NOD32's notifications... say when you visit a web page - it pops up a red notification saying "something has tried to do ***** and has been terminated".... does Kaspersky do this and stops unauthorised modifications to your system?

Soldato
kbc said:
I'm deciding on whether to use NOD or Kaspersky, I've got a firewall already - i.e. ZoneAlarm.

Don't want to hijack this thread - but I do like NOD32's notifications... say when you visit a web page - it pops up a red notification saying "something has tried to do ***** and has been terminated".... does Kaspersky do this and stops unauthorised modifications to your system?

Doesnt do popups like that. But I have another layer of protection from other smaller applications anyway.

kbc

kbc

Associate
sr4470 said:
Doesnt do popups like that. But I have another layer of protection from other smaller applications anyway.

I assume it'll still do the job even if it doesn't do pop-up notifications? :) As long as it's "light" and quick on the boot - I'll be happy.

What other applications do you use?

Soldato
kbc said:
I assume it'll still do the job even if it doesn't do pop-up notifications? :) As long as it's "light" and quick on the boot - I'll be happy.

What other applications do you use?

Cwshredder
Ad-Aware
Spybot Search&Destroy
Spywareblaster

Back
Top Bottom