just discovered there is a fan in the 360 psu!

Permabanned
heh, sounds daft this, but i just ejected my BF2 disc after a couple of games and I could hear a high pitched whining noise. quite quiet, but after a bit of investigation i discovered it was a fan in the 360's psu!

can't remember ever hearing it before, in the 5 months i've had my 360. so i hope it's not a sign that it was about to overheat :eek: it's not as though it's overly warm either.

Soldato
PuncH said:
heh, sounds daft this, but i just ejected my BF2 disc after a couple of games and I could hear a high pitched whining noise. quite quiet, but after a bit of investigation i discovered it was a fan in the 360's psu!

can't remember ever hearing it before, in the 5 months i've had my 360. so i hope it's not a sign that it was about to overheat :eek: it's not as though it's overly warm either.

Was it actually a high pitched noise of a fan or like a really high pitched squeak?

My Sony MP3 player AC Adapter makes a really high pitched squeak/whine but it certainly doesn't have a fan in.

Permabanned
OP
Phil99 said:
Was it actually a high pitched noise of a fan or like a really high pitched squeak?

My Sony MP3 player AC Adapter makes a really high pitched squeak/whine but it certainly doesn't have a fan in.

it sounded more like a the high pitched noise of a small fan. i could also feel the air being drawn into the PSU and then, warm air being blown out the other end of the PSU.

Permabanned
OP
malc30 said:
So do i and i also wonder why we bother sometimes.

well excuse me for not quite understanding!

to answer an earlier question by Kreeeee, I have cleaned an electrical appliance before (ie my PC) but not with compressed air. I've used a suitable brush to remove dust from fans etc.

so long as warm air is being blown out the psu i'll know the fan is doing it's job.

Associate
Compressed air will be fine matey.

You can get it from most electronics places.

I tend to blow the compressed air in then hoover as much of the dust as possible through any vents etc.... to try and stop it settling again

Soldato
Indeedy, at the end of a plastic nozzle. From Wikipedia:

This is not just the result of friction; two non-conductive surfaces can become charged by just being placed one on top of the other.

If you google static and vacuum cleaner you'll find out more.

Either way static discharge rarely kills electronic components that have been packaged. But it does damage them, the result of which is unexplained crashes. I sometimes wonder how many crashes in PCs are as a result of not taking care when assembling or servicing them.

Associate
Never wore a static wristband ever when working on a PC. However I take your point about static and for the sake of my Xbox and the hassle it will cause to take it back I 'may' leave the dyson for my floor.

Back
Top Bottom