A Little Worried.

Associate
Ok this thread is work related and i'm a little worried and feel a little trapped at the moment, well here is why.

I left school at 16 met my current girlfriend around the same time, where both 20 now and have a beutiful daughter, a mortgage, bills to pay, luckily enough so far we have had no credit cards or loans so other than the mortgage we are both in no debt what so ever.

I have worked for telewest broadband for about 3 years now and despise it, we have had new recently that 6000 jobs are getting cut due to the merge with NTL, now our department has had no news yet wether or not we are staying or going and they are sacking people left, right and centre for the most stupid reasons, so in my eyes it doesnt look very good.

I really would like to find another job but feel trapped as the whole family depends on my income and i really cannot afford to be out of work for any amount of time, the job i do now is easy, too easy that after 3 years i feel that i'm just wasting my time here, there are no prospects or benefits and i really would like to get of here sharpish, ive been looking into a few apprentiships in Joinery and Electricians but the ones i have seen are more aimed at school leavers on low pay.

I'm not really sure what i should do, should i hold on to find out if my job is safe and stick with the job i hate, or risk it and look for a job that i might love.

Also does anyone have any idea how easy jobs are to find these days, only ever applied for one job and been here ever since.

Soldato
Seeing as you don't like the job and it doesnt seem to have good promotion prospects that alone would make me suggest looking elsewhere for work! After all its not like you have to quit your job to look.

Permabanned
Get yourself a redundancy insurance policy.
Is your mortgage insured against job loss?

When we suspected that my wife was going to be made redundant we took out a policy that paid out £1000 a month. She got made redundant and the policy paid out around £10,000 before she went back to work.

Get yourself covered as soon as possible.

Associate
OP
yak.h'cir said:
Seeing as you don't like the job and it doesnt seem to have good promotion prospects that alone would make me suggest looking elsewhere for work! After all its not like you have to quit your job to look.

True but what i dont want to happen is i get another job and it doesnt work out, or they realise i'm not right for the role for whatever reason, i see your point though and even i myself think its time to move on.

Associate
I would do as suggested above, but stick with your job and search for new ones at the same time.

When you have interviews and things, take half a day or a days annual leave and pop along. Many employers are normally quite understanding if you have to hand in a notice and wait for your term at your current job to come to an end.

Good luck matey and let us know how you get on :)

Bar

Bar

Soldato
I have to agree with VIRII - this sort of protection reduces your current stress and prevents massive amounts of stress in the future.

And as most people have suggested - get out there and look around to see whats there.

Soldato
An apprenticeship does not sound like the ideal route for you, they tend to be low paid and as you say aimed at school leavers, I doubt a waged apprenticeship will pay you the money you need for your family.

I don't know what you do for Telewest but if you are involved in the cabling side I would investigate opertunities within commercial structured cabling in your area, there would be more chance to learn and use different solutions and the money is better because most work is done for commercial organisations who pay better than more public orientated companies like utilities.

Use your existing skills to gain a new job, you may need to spend some time working out what they are but you do have them, make sure they look good on your CV and put the work out to family and friends so they can spread the word on your behalf, around 50% of jobs are found through word of mouth.

Good Luck

MB

Permabanned
You can probably survive on a low paid apprenticeship and get extra help from the state ESPECIALLY if you're made redundant. I retrained at about 28 years of age on a very low wage and it paid off. Nothing ventured nothing gained and all that.
From my personal experience I would say that if there is something that you REALLY want to do then go for it. So it'll mean 3 years of terrible money and a tough time but it will be worth it eventually. It is easier to cope with at 20 than at 30.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the information and input guys, going to start work on my CV right now and i've been looking at a few job sites but havent really found anything yet, everything requires x amount of years experience, ill keep looking though. :)

Soldato
All I can suggest is to start looking for another job but keep your current job at the moment. You don't want to do something stupid and allow them to sack you for it. Spent some time deciding what you'd like to do in the future. Once you've decided start job hunting. There are a few websites that do custom made excellent CVs for a low price.

Good luck.

You'll be fine. You never know, they might decide to keep you. I believe you should have a good chance staying considering you've already been there for a few years.

Soldato
in the original post you say they are sacking people for silly things ( instead of having to make people redundant i supose ). so with this would redundancy protection actually be any good?

Permabanned
spike's said:
in the original post you say they are sacking people for silly things ( instead of having to make people redundant i supose ). so with this would redundancy protection actually be any good?

It'll be fine if he isn't sacked and if he is sacked and it is unfair then he can and should take them to tribunal.
I'm not sure if it pays out if you're sacked, you'd have to ask the question as it may differ between policies.

Associate
OP
spike's said:

Well i hope so as i dont think i've done anything wrong in order for them to sack me, but people are getting taken into the office for the odd mistakes which are down to training issues and getting the chop, rather unfair but they say they are entitled to do so.

Back
Top Bottom