Having a tyre plugged...

Soldato
Hi,
Recently one of my tyres was punctured by a screw. It's pretty much in the centre of the tyre and I only drove for about 20 metres before coming to a complete stop. How safe is plugging a tyre? I don't really want to have it done and then for it to blow out whilst i'm driving down the motorway.

Cheers

Associate
I've had it done before on my old car. Drove it for about a year (before the tyre wore out) and it was fine, even at motorway speeds.

I understand your worry though, it worried me at first and I simply couldn't afford a new tyre at the time.

I suppose it's not guaranteed to be perfect, but surely they wouldn't let them plug it unless it was safe?

Soldato
Just had one done myself, nice cheap fix. Hopefully it'll be ok, as above, if it was really dodgy I imagine they wouldnt do it. Mine was done at a decent tyre place with a good rep, not a dodgy place. :)

Soldato
it should be safe,but if you were really,really worried try going to an independent tyre fitter and ask if they do Hot Vulcanising repairs...they do this for repairs near the edge of the tyre.The large chains don't do this as the machines cost about £500 each and it's cheaper for them to sell more tyres

Soldato
Just had a tyre plugged an hour ago.

Should be ok, although I was seriously tempted to just replace it - they gave me the "are you mad" look so I said ok repair it.

That was Kwik fit - free of charge too. :D

Soldato
A puncture repair should be fine, they basically reseal the puncture with a rubber compound. I've known people have it done no problems.

I think its the size of the puncture really that will decide if its feasible to repair.

Sam

Sam

Soldato
I echo @ what everyone else says, it will be fine :) they wont repair it if they think its in a dodgy area

Sam

Associate
ive had this done a lot of time on my car! no way can i afford new michilin pilot sports at 18/255 every time!

its perfectly safe and kwikfit do it for free i beilve!

*S

Soldato
I had one plugged a couple of years ago by the muppets at the local KF and a few months later the glue was failing and the plug was sticking out of the tyre by about a centimetre! :eek:

Associate
I never used the plugs on car tyres but never was that impressed by them.

I always used patches and glue just like you would on a bike tube. Buff it, glue it, patch it and then put it back together again. Worked a treat. :)

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
Nothing wrong with a good repair. The way the plugs are made it's not possible for them to come out, they are a flat disc with the plug sticking from the centre. Because of this they just can't come out, not only is the glue hoding them in place, but the actual air pressure too.

Bot my rear tyres had this kind of repair and I had no problems with them atall, including lots of, erm... 'sprited' driving... :o When I recently replaced both tyres the repairs were as good as when they were first done.

Back
Top Bottom