Internet works but no network...

Soldato
Hi all,

Just bought a laptop and a linksys wireless router and put them together with my PC and now have two computers which can access the internet! That was easy, just followed the instructions with the router.

Now I want to make bit of a network to share a few files but also to share the printer atached to the PC.

I have read a bit about setting up a new network and it looks fairly straightforward (not that anything is). However my concern is that I could loose the internet connection on the laptop which was the main reason for buying it. For that reason I have not gone into the wizards though fear of loosing the connection.

Can I have some advice please? Both computers are running XP which is up to date on both, the PC has Zone Alarm and the laptop has Norton Internet Security.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for that, will have a go.

The PC's work group is visible on the laptop, how can I get the laptop to join? Or is it the firewalls preventing that too?

Soldato
OP
tolien said:
stick the IP range into their "trusted zone", and you're done.

Thinking about this, there is only one network shown on the PC and that network is basically the link to the internet - I don't really want that in my trusted zone.

Both machines have a network cannection with the router, can I just make a new network between the the machines via the router and without affecting the existing connection?

Caporegime
nands said:
Thinking about this, there is only one network shown on the PC and that network is basically the link to the internet - I don't really want that in my trusted zone.

The internet connection isn't the same.

Associate
I also recently bought a laptop and a linksys router. Ring the tech sup. for linksys. Put me straight through to someone. Had the internet and both pcs securely networked in minutes. No hassle pointlessly trying to figure it out yourself and easly rememberable once they tell you.

Soldato
OP
real said:
Ring the tech sup. for linksys.

You know, with the state of the average tech support I never thought of doing this! Will try as a hour of head scratching last night came to nothing.

Associate
Might be a stupid question, but as know one has asked it yet... which linksys router are you using? and are you sure it has a built in switch?

Caporegime
nands said:
Will try as a hour of head scratching last night came to nothing.

So try what I suggested and all your problems are solved? :confused:
The internal network and outside world are distinct, and if you want to be paranoid about it, just add the other machine's IP to the trusted list...

Soldato
OP
It is the WRT54GSUK with a speed booster.

I did manage to ping the laptop from the pc but not the other way around which makes me think it is more to do with the pc's firewall but I set that to trusted.

Associate
hmm, i'd start over again tbh

Making sure they are all in the same subnet and IP range. Also make sure the workgroup is right also.

If they are set by DHCP then do a..
IPCONFIG /release
then
IPCONFIG /renew

Theres bound to be a logical fix for the problem, something i think we are overlooking.

Soldato
OP
Yep, both firewalls were set to trusted.

I reckon I must be overlooking something dead straightforward here.

They had the same workgroup - well they are in work groups with the same name - can I assume that that workgroup will merge into one?

Can you tell I'm new at this part of computing?

I will have a go with the ip release when I get home - don't you hate being stuck at work when there is so much to do at home?

Soldato
OP
Brilliant!

Thanks for all the help fellas, I've now got a working network! Sharing documents and printing like there's no tomorrow.

It was definately something with the ip's, now I have a high security connection with a trusted ip of the laptop - perfect!

Back
Top Bottom