There are times when I like working in retail

Soldato
Was at work yesterday, talking to a customer about a PC he was nterested in buying, then he wanted to look at the Digital Camera's, and the first one he looked at he asked

"How many mega pickles does this camera have"

I was stunned, I had such a hard job of keeping a straight face. I've heard all sorts of things in my time where I work, but that just about takes the biscuit. I mean what did he want to do ?? Pickel it for Christmas :D

Soldato
My Favourite was "How many jigga-bytes of cpu does it have?"

And also "Hi, we need a new Hard Drive" So i take them to the hdd's obviously. "Wow they're that small and cheap now?" errm yeah, "jeeze our ones like this big and has a cd drive on it " :x

Turns out they wanted a new tower.

Soldato
Behemoth said:
Was at work yesterday, talking to a customer about a PC he was nterested in buying, then he wanted to look at the Digital Camera's, and the first one he looked at he asked

"How many mega pickles does this camera have"

I was stunned, I had such a hard job of keeping a straight face. I've heard all sorts of things in my time where I work, but that just about takes the biscuit. I mean what did he want to do ?? Pickel it for Christmas :D

But your in Cornwall..... Isn't that the norm? :p

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
We had someone come in last week for a new phone battery because they'd tried to charge their old battery by putting it in the microwave :eek:

Associate
I had the misfortune to work in a pc related competitors store over xmas many years ago (I was a very poor student at the time, I just needed cash). With it being xmas all was very busy and a hyper active spoilt brat of a toddler dragged his very tired looking grandparents in and started yelling about wanting a console for xmas, I walked over trying to be helpful full empathy in gear for the grandparents of this tiny emotional terrorist.

He of course wanted to see the box and the grandad agreed and wanted me to get this empty box from the very high display while the tiny yapper ran around underneath my legs. On fingertips I reached for the box, it teatered in my grasp and fell, landing straight onto the spoilt little urchins upturned face, a squeek was heard, I was utterly apologetic, lifting the box off the brat, and then lifting the now dumbstruck demon. I then looked up to the grandad to give more apologies and offer to get the manager to throw myself on their mercy, only to find that the grandad was almost in tears from trying not to laugh saying that all was fine, he then happily went on to explain while smiling to the kid that he wouldnt be getting the console as it was too expensive, and they left with a now much quieter kid in tow.

Soldato
OP
wedgie22 said:
How did you not laugh?

Because it would not have been professional for me to do so, not only that but I didn't want to make the customer feel like he was a complete loon (the difference being that he was a complete loon)

Permabanned
Her: So Craig, can you help?

Me: Sure.. what operating system do you have? XP?

Her: Google.

Me: Hehe, no, operating system, as in the main software you have. Usually Microsoft Windows?

Her: I told you, Google.

Me: Yeah, ..bye.

Soldato
I had a german guy come in where I used to work, he didn't understand that we wouldn't give him a free 4 pin lead to extend the power supply to another hard drive. Then got really angry when we tried to show him that you can't use an optical mouse on a reflective surface. Yea, that was actually quite annoying, not really funny at the time :(

Soldato
scarf leads, UBS leads I get everything.

Asking for a SCART lead when the customer wanted a VGA lead was particularly confusing.

Everyone calls mp3 players Ipods no matter who makes them.

A person told me that they knew their laptop had wifi built in because she had a wireless mouse.

A customer simply wouldn't believe me that there are actually 8 bits in a byte - I really don't know why I ever tried to explain that.

I spent twenty minutes helping an old woman pick out a wireless phone and then when she came to pay said how good it will be to be able to check on things when she's down the shops!

These are just the ones I can think of at the moment - tbh though where I work you wouldn't shop if you knew what you were talking about.

fini

Soldato
OP
Stellios said:
Have 5 stars, keep em coming!

Best one ive heard was on here, someone went into Boots and asked for some Nvidia cream :o

lmao

"I want some Navida cream to keep my 7900 GTX from getting wrinkles"

I had to deal with a complete moron yesterday, came in with an Ipod, they'd only gone and sat on it braking it themselves, wehn I told them we don't replace user damaged items he almost hit me, thought I was going to have to call the police in at one point.

Oh yes and the bagless vcauum cleaner that never got emptied, and the dumb customer wondered why it wasn't picking anything up, they do need emptying from time to time.

And the one that springs to mind at the moment is the guy that insisted his PC didn't have a dial up modem in it, when I had a look at the PC and asked him which socket he was plugging the modem cable into, he showed the network card socket !!!!

Associate
Behemoth said:
And the one that springs to mind at the moment is the guy that insisted his PC didn't have a dial up modem in it, when I had a look at the PC and asked him which socket he was plugging the modem cable into, he showed the network card socket !!!!

This ones very common because modem leads appear to fit and lock in place perfectly despite being smaller than a cat 5 network cable.
Easy mistake to make for someone not to up on computers lol

Woman of Honour
Man of Honour
Behemoth said:
he almost hit me, thought I was going to have to call the police in at one point.
Ah we had one of those Saturday. Although we did call the police. Amazing how fast the bloke went quiet after that heh.

Soldato
OP
Haly said:
Ah we had one of those Saturday. Although we did call the police. Amazing how fast the bloke went quiet after that heh.

I'm not paid to take their ear ache.

Was amazed though when we had a customer come with an item that was 8 months old, nothing wrong with it and they just wanted a refund as they didn't like it anymore !!

You meet lots of people from all walks of life, there are some people who should just not be allowed into an electronics store.

Back
Top Bottom