Photographing Canary Wharf area; any advice?

Associate
Off on a works trip to London in a few weeks and will have some free time before things kick off. Thought I might take a short jaunt up to Canary Wharf and West India Quay. Wondered if anyone had any input into particularly funky vantage points? Also, I don't suppose anyone knows if any of the buildings there have observation decks, do they?

If time allows, I thought a Thames Barrier trip might also be in order; again, any advice on this would be useful! Checked the Thames Clipper boat times up to Woolwich (as I'd hoped to be able to sail past it) but that looks like a no-go as the mo, so I'll be limited to DLR/Underground and foot.......

Soldato
Someone here took an amazing shot of Canary Wharf which I've had as my background for quite a while now:

night shots would look nice, if that wasn't what you intending it might be worth going along. :)

Associate
lol, did a double-take at that image - it's one I took back in Dec/January. Have a look at my website (see sig) in the 'Urban' section for some shots that I have taken of Canary Wharf and the Thames Barrier. I have never really been happy with the shots that I've taken around the buildings themselves - I need to get back there at some point. However, I've never had any problem with security - luck of the draw, I guess

Soldato
I went down with 2 SLRs a nice big tripod and a friend who manged to distract about 20 different secutriy guys with a digital camera an flash, By the time they got to me I was finished although apparently no pics allowed because it's private property as said before although you may want to try and get a permit.

Associate
A bit of info on locations for some distant shots (whilst pimping some of my shots as examples;) :p). You'll need Google Earth

1) Canary Wharf from Greenwich Park
0002.jpg

Google Earth location

2) Millennium Dome & Canary Wharf
0001.jpg

Google Earth location

3) Canary Wharf by night
0004.jpg

Google Earth location

Associate
Call the Canary Wharf press office, ask to speak to Julia (assuming she is still there) and explain what you want to do - She will sort you out with a pass no problems to take photos. Unless your doing something commercial or (I beleive) a uni project you can take photos free for personal use, Otherwise there is a charge.

I know this from being moved on by security guards there a couple of times - the most recent guy gave me the press office number but I seem to have mislaid it.. I will try and find it for you.

Associate
OP
Matt,

Funily enough, I contacted Canary Wharf via their website and got a very pleasant E-mail back from Julia herself. I will make sure I take a copy of it when I go.........in the words of the lady herself:

"As an amateur photographer you are allowed to take photographs on the estate without a permit."

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Just a quick update, in that Julia has also clarified that photography inside buildings is not permitted, but this is the only restriction she mentioned when I asked for clarification on regs. relating to stuff like tripods/flash photography etc.

Soldato
When I was working at the FSA, I was speaking to a security guard. He said to me that you have to get written permission from the owners because of things relating to terrorism :confused:. Sounds like crap to me, but I went around there this time last year, and no one asked me to stop taking photos!!!!!

Associate
OP
Righty ho, all, hopefully a last update.... was all set with my E-mail from Julia, when this drops in my inbox from Canary Wharf management:

"Yes you are correct in that Canary Wharf is a private estate. Commercial photography does require a permit however, depending on the type of equipment you use, even if it is for leisure purposes, you may find you are challenged by security. I would suggest you obtain a permit which you may request from [email protected]"

So, bounce the e-mail off to Julia, asking for her thoughts and got a very nice message back from another lady called Phillipa asking for a few more details. 10 mins later, full photo permit faxed to me, all signed off and sorted.

Big brownie points to Canary Wharf management for being helpful, efficient and incredibly accomodating.

Soldato
IMG_0122_Location.jpg

this is where i managed to park up. Just as you cross the bridge over the dock, theres a little parking area for the houses there, and a walk around to the side of the dock. From my shots you can see its blocked by a fence, however i think if you go further round the you might have a clearer shot. I wouldnt park there too long as it is supposed to be for locals only. I left me mum in the car, took a few quick shots then run back :p

This is my 2nd day with my Canon S3IS, and i had left it too late for these shots really, as the light was fading fast, and i wasnt too sure on what modes to use as id basicaly just taken it out the box and was using auto mode.

*clickable to 1280 res*

I brightend this up, as well as got too much JPG compression on this shot, but then it wasnt a great shot to begin with.

This is a different shot, totally Original shot, without any editing, apart from JPG compression. too dark! :o

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom