N80 Vs K800i Vs?

Permabanned
Hi, im after a decent phone with the latest and greatest camera, my contracts been over for 3 or 4 months now and orange are eager to get me to upgrade, well they were untill i expressed my interest in a free N80 to stay with them ;)

Anyways, now the time has come for me to decide i think, i either say "send me my N80 please" or i wait for the k800i. Any idea's how long id be waiting, and is it guna be worth the wait in comparison to the N80. The camera is one of the priorities tbh, aswell as being a cool phone in general (the black N80 is seriously cool imo, you guys know what i mean!)

thanks for the advice.

Caporegime
Hmmm heres my honest opinion...stay away from the N80 unless you want a slow device which has quite a few bugs ie memory errors. Now a lot of people may say i had a defective unit but sending it back and getting it looked at...they came to the conclusion that it was not faulty so got my money back instead.
Anyways other than that, the n80 is a nice phone. bulky though ill admit. Great features but nokia hasnt a clue on how to implement them, they really need to start putting more internal memory on their phones. I just found the phone too niggly and hard to get on with, too many quirks for my liking and a lot of other people feel the same...maybe not on here but other places i hang out...people are not impressed by this phones performance.

Now the K800i is a pretty good phone. made by SE so will hardly have any faults and if it does...they will be sorted via a firmware upgrade WHICH you can do yourself if you so choose. Although its very different to the n80 in that the n80 has built in wifi and the k800i doesnt but what it does have is the 3.2mp camera and the n80 has a 3mp camera. I wasnt overly impressed by the n80 camera...hell my W810i which i got in replacement takes a better job of photos lol. From the last i heard, the k800i is looking for a june/july release hopefully. I will be getting one thats for sure along with the p990i and the W850i which should be out later this year.

Like i said its up to u if you decide to go for the n80, but as i said its bulky and too buggy for my liking. Using the web browser caused the phone to crash pretty badly, its definitely put me off nokia for life i think. SE make some rather good phones imho.

But yeh your looking at least june/july-ish time for the k800i, will it be worth it over the n80??. Hard to say as both phones are different, the n80 has wifi and the k800i doesnt...dont get me wrong the n80 is a lovely piece of kit...just not as fast as i thought it would be. Personally i would try the n80 out for a few days and see how you get on with it, you may like it and you may not. If you dont then send it back and wait for the k800i...its what i would do:).

Associate
"If you look at the pictures you will notice that it says "3 megapixels" on the Nokia lens and "3.2 MP" on Sony Ericsson - it's just a matter of marketing, the two cameras have exactly the same resolution - 2048 x 1536 pixels, or 3.15 megapixels. It is quite funny to read on the forums about 0.2 MP difference."

taken from gsm arena 3 megapixel shootout

Associate
I wasn't arguing that the camera on the n80 is anywhere near so good but simply that the old 3.2 versus 3.0 megapixel argument isn't valid. tbh my n80 camera hardly compares to the 2.0 on my mates w900

Suspended
I've preordered a K800i to come mid July I think. And yes the 3.2 and 3mp cameras on the two are the same just marketing ploys as said above.

Permabanned
OP
Right i see, so what does wifi enable? does that mean ill be able to hook it up to my home network wireless router? Im considering the N80 the winner atm because iv seen the video quality it can record at!

Caporegime
willd58 said:
Right i see, so what does wifi enable? does that mean ill be able to hook it up to my home network wireless router? Im considering the N80 the winner atm because iv seen the video quality it can record at!

Yeh you can connect the phone to your wireless network at home if you so choose to or could use it when your out and about ie starbucks and their wifi zones etc.

From what i have seen the K800i also does a superb job of video recording, i wasnt that impressed with my n80's video camera recording capability tbh.

Soldato
Spawn said:
Hmmm heres my honest opinion...stay away from the N80 unless you want a slow device which has quite a few bugs ie memory errors. Now a lot of people may say i had a defective unit but sending it back and getting it looked at...they came to the conclusion that it was not faulty so got my money back instead.

No offence, but you admitted that you had a buggy phone - and other people have said that their N80s work fine/better. You know you cant trust a shop to give an informed answer on these things.

Maybe you should prefix all comments on this phone with such a disclaimer, because they dont seem entirely representative of the generally available N80. ;)

Associate
The errors Spawn talks about do occur occasionally but they have been fixed in the latest firmware release so all you'll have to do is take the phone to a Nokia service centre to update the firmware. As for the camera, the N80's isn't that good. The K750 is better so if the camera is the most important feature either wait for the N73 with autofocus and Carl Zeiss lens or get the K800.

Soldato
from what i remember, the video recording on the N80 is miles better, but the picture quality etc is a bit sucky.
Ive heard people banging on about how good wifi is, but what would you actually use it for? Surfing the net on your wireless connection in the same location as ** pc? just use the pc?
Might have missed a totally awesome reason; anyone know what it is?

Associate
I'm kind of having the same dilemma currently.

Wanted an N80 in February but there didn't seem to be any reliable eta, in the end gave in and went for an XDA Mini S. Long story short, I want rid of it as I really don't get on with it and it has too many problems for me. I would definitely not recommend them!

Have been looking at getting an N80 instead but doing some research today there seem to be some problems. In terms of the speed will it be any worse than the Nokia 6670 I am using now?

K800 looks good but from previous SE phones I didn't like the joystick, surprised it isn't like the W810 with the pad thing instead. Is the K800 likely to be any better than previous ones?

Are there any other similar handsets available/on the horizon?

Back
Top Bottom