Please help a newby pick memory for this motherboard

Associate
Hello :)

I am specing/building my first PC from scratch. From reading and posting on here I have decided to go for this motherboard:

DFI LanParty UT CFX3200-DR RD580 Crossfire (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-019-DF) £152.69 inc VAT

The CPU wil be an AMD X2 dual core 939, either 3800+ or 4400+. The PC will be used mainly for video editing/encoding and gameing. I am also planning on learning how to overclock (which is the main reason for selecting this particular motherboard).

I used the product search function on the Corsair site, and it suggested three different memory products which are stocked on the Overclockers catalog:

"Most popular"
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3200C2 XPERT TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-105-CS) £211.44 Including VAT

"Best overclocking"
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4400 Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS3 (MY-101-CS) £234.94 Including VAT

"Lowest latency"
Corsair 2GB DDR XMS3500LL Pro TwinX (2x1GB) CAS2 (MY-093-CS) £187.94 Including VAT

I am thinking of picking the "Best overclocking" one, MY-101-CS. Would this be a good bet? I see that other (cheaper) makes like G.Skill etc are often suggested on here. I am at the very bottom of the learning curve when it comes to PC's, particularly memory with its confusing variables ie latency etc (which I'm yet to reasonably understand). Do you have to overclock this particular memory in order to make it a worthwile choice? Or is it a good choice if left un-clocked? I plan to overclock but it will take me a while to understand and feel confident about doing it. I know that Corsair is a "decent" make, but are you paying a premium for the name? Are cheaper brands just as good? I don't mind spending the money but I can't afford to waste it, I want to buy right first time around ;). I don't want to buy something only to find that there is a quirk with it later down the line.

I really want to pin it down so I know exactly what to order (together with the rest of the components).

Many thanks in advance for any help :)

Soldato
If the Corsair product search recommended this then its surely guaranteed to work with that mobo. But like I said before, PC4000 RAM and even some PC3200 with tight timings, you might find that you have to set-it-up manually :( See even this build - they had to set their own RAM manually :eek:

Associate
OP
hp7909 said:
If the Corsair product search recommended this then its surely guaranteed to work with that mobo. But like I said before, PC4000 RAM and even some PC3200 with tight timings, you might find that you have to set-it-up manually :( See even this build - they had to set their own RAM manually :eek:

Thanks mate. That links good, the pictures illustrate how the latency numbers actually relate to a BIOS option.

Cheers :)

Back
Top Bottom