How much water is too much water?

Soldato
IIRC its 2.5 litres of water a day we need... But we only need to drink around 1.8 litres as we gain the rest from food.

Drinking too much water is bad as it can dilute the salt levels in our bodies..

Man of Honour
Unconditional said:
How much water would I have to drink to kill myself?

10 liters in around 90mins... but vaires a lot between people.

Salt is important for cells to use energy to fuel themselfs.

Also if you have taken some types of drugs which aid water retention, your organs especially your brain simply swell up and have no where to expand to. This is how leigh baites died, not because of the drug it self, but for drinking to much water after taking drugs.

Last edited:
Associate
yeah u can die if you drink too much water, water intoxication, you are so unlikely to get it unless you are a pro marathon runner

its like 1.5litres an hour or somethin + u have tyo have right salts etc

Man of Honour
reflex said:
Might be wrong but i think you can drown yourself drinking to much water??

No, you actually asphyxiate.

The water is absorbed into the blood, hence diluting it. As a result red blood cells take up the water by osmosis (cell contents being more concentrated than the surrounding blood), this in turn causes the cells to burst as they cannot contain the volume of water. Consequently insufficient oxygen is absorbed by the reducing number of red blood cells and it's all downhill from there....

Caporegime
I've heard about someone dying in A&E after drinking too much water, they were told by thier GP to drink as much as possible after catching a Urinary Tract Infection, unfortunately they didn't have a functioning osmoreception system and came in after drinking 30 litres that day and died.

Back
Top Bottom