I need help to edit a DVD...

Permabanned
Hey guys

I have recently discovered a very old family video that I got transfered from VHS to DVD by a local company. I need to edit this film to cut out the periods where one person appears in the footage.

I do not need to do anything fancy to try and make it look like it hasn't been butchered this is of no concern to me. I just need this person out of the footage.

Can anyone recomend any software for this?

When I say I am a noob at video editing thats a slight understatement...

cheers for any good advice

G

Associate
The only way do this is to get it onto a PC for editing .Of course ,you could put it back onto video tape [playing DVD to video ]and pause when it hits the footage you dont want in. This is a poor way of doing things though .The PC way would be the best , but it takes a little bit of knowhow and the correct software and you say your a noob at such things .You could pay someone to do it though !

Permabanned
OP
I never pay people to do things for me (other than the VHS transfer don't have a video player)

Can someone please recomend software? I'm sure I could pick it up after a shot or too..... I'm not as green as I am cabbage looking

Associate
Firstly , you'll need a DVD Reader/writer in your PC . Open the DVD up in Windows , they'll be .VOB files ,copy and paste the files into a folder on your hard drive.You can convert the vobs to avi's or mpegs so that a video editing package can read it . There is software that will read vobs directly ......VideoRedo is one VCDCutterXP is another ,but most will only allow you to import avi's or mpegs.Using VideoReDo for instance will allow you to clip the footage you want to keep or get rid of. You may end up with a series of clips making up the movie , you just add these together in your video editing software and you'll not notice. Most DVD rippers can convert a DVD into a .avi or mpg file if you want to import directly into software like Pinnacle or VideoStudio .Once edited Pinnacle for instance will write directly to a DVD , others such as Movie Plus with save as a mpeg file and you can use something like DVDSanta to write to DVD. There is loads of ways of doing this using many different bits of software . Without the required software you'll not be able to do anything and it takes a little time to get to know how to use it.I suppose the easy way would be to get hold of a ripper ,DVDencrypter would do it.Rip your DVD to mpeg [these take up less space] , get Ulead Movie Studio or Pinnacle 8/9/10 and import your file and edit from there .Not a five minute job though if you thought it was.

Associate
Windows Movie Maker will do it. Import the movie, set it to timeline mode and cut out the bits you don't want.

Burn it back to DVD.

It's not difficult at all. Movie Maker is the easiest program to use for the basic stuff, all very intuitive.

Associate
@Gungnir, are you saying that Movie Maker will import the DVD files [.vob's] into the program to edit ?? or will Movie Maker convert the vob files to an avi or mpeg to work with ?? Biohazard has a DVD to work with , the program must be compatible with the files on the DVD ie. vobs

Permabanned
OP
right so I need to rip it off the dvd and convert it to mpg. Right I'll have a dig about. Can windows movie maker cut mpg footage? Then get something to burn that on.

right I think I can cope with this :p anyone know where to get DVDsanta / and a vob - mpg convertor?

cheers (most of that to rickyt)

Associate
I cannot help you with Movie Maker , coz I've never used it , infact I've never even opened it up on my Pc's. There's lots of good editing programs arround .If you can find a editor that will let you work directly with .VOB files , you wont need to rip the DVD. Just copy the contents from your disk to a folder .If I'm not mistaken , VCDCutterXP will allow you to cut a .VOB file then save as a avi or mpeg.Do it in stages to cut out the bit you dont want , then add the separate clips together in a editing program .If you use something like Pinnacle it will write directly to DVD.I think you'll have to hunt arround for the software , forum rules dont allow me to list sites where I get my software from .Most of the stuff is trial anyway , but if I like it I buy it .Hope this helps.

Associate
Associate
cheers for the links ,although I have the proggys I thought there may have been updated versions , but unfortunately DVDEncrypter is no longer available , new laws that came out in Jan 06 preventing it's download . Pity , it's a very good program I'm sure there's still a few places you can download it from .The old saying still rings true , download what you can , when you can ,as you never know if it'll be still there tomorrow.

Caporegime
Remember that vob files are already mpeg2, they shouldnt need converting to be edited.

If you use virtualdub, you can just drop the vob files into it and edit straight away.

Associate
Energize said:
Remember that vob files are already mpeg2, they shouldnt need converting to be edited.

If you use virtualdub, you can just drop the vob files into it and edit straight away.

i dont think youll find VirtualDub will handle vob files directly...virtualdub-MPEG2 is a VERY flaky version based on the orignal VitualDub proggy.

to do what you ask in first post you need only the program TMPGEnc DVD Author

you open the program and it will ask for file,, this in turn will also copy down the film into a handable mpeg2 format in approx 10mins (it offers this option and this is what you will need to do)
,, this in turn you can cut edit VERY simply and quickly and then it will recreate the vob file (vob being movie files ) and create a menu if you wish also the need ifo and bup files, it will also write it all back to a dvd writer if one is in the system,

if you have a few vobs you just wish to join use ifo edit it will combine them and rewrite

good luck,,,

Associate
Energize said:
Virtual dub handles them fine. I often use it for editing dvds.

what version do you use ?

are you sure your importing vob files directly from a dvd,, if i drop a vob into the open window on virtualdub i get a error stating
"No video frames found in mpeg file"

taken from there own website ,,does not say it handles vobs directly, i use virtual dub a lot but yet to find it handles vob's directly..

http://www.virtualdub.org/features

VirtualDub features
Have you ever worked with desktop video?
Sure, you've probably played a few video clips on your monitor. But have you ever made one yourself? Used a video capture device? Wrestled with the software that comes with it? Felt like the software is a few leagues above or below your level? Time to try something else.

VirtualDub helps you get video into your computer.
If your capture device is Video for Windows compatible, then VirtualDub can capture video with it. But VirtualDub isn't your average capture program:

Fractional frame rates. Don't settle for 29 or 30 when you want 29.97.
Optimized disk access for more consistent hard disk usage.
Create AVI2 (OpenDML) files to break the AVI 2GB barrier and multiple files to break the FAT32 4GB limit.
Integrated volume meter and histogram for input level monitoring.
Real-time downsizing, noise reduction, and field swapping.
Verbose monitoring, including compression levels, CPU usage, and free disk space.
Access hidden video formats your capture card may support but not have a setting for, such as 352x480.
Keyboard and mouse shortcuts for faster operation. To capture, just hit F6.
Clean interface layout: caption, menu bar, info panel, status bar.
VirtualDub lets you clean up video on your computer.
There are lots of programs that let you "edit" video. And yet, they're frustratingly complex for some of the simplest tasks. VirtualDub isn't an editor application; it's a pre- and post-processor that works as a valuable companion to one:

Reads and writes AVI2 (OpenDML) and multi-segment AVI clips.
Integrated MPEG-1 and Motion-JPEG decoders.
Remove and replace audio tracks without touching the video.
Extensive video filter set, including blur, sharpen, emboss, smooth, 3x3 convolution, flip, resize rotate, brightness/contrast, levels, deinterlace, and threshold.
Bilinear and bicubic resampling -- no blocky resizes or rotates here.
Decompress and recompress both audio and video.
Remove segments of a video clip and save the rest, without recompressing.
Adjust frame rate, decimate frames, and 3:2 pulldown removal.
Preview the results, with live audio.
You can take a captured clip, trim the ends, clean up some of the noise, convert it to the proper frame size, and write out a better one. Don't see a video filter you want? Write your own, with the filter SDK.

VirtualDub is fast.
The author of VirtualDub is very impatient. That means his program is designed for speed, both in the interface and in the processing pipeline. Converting a compressed, 320x240 MPEG-1 file to an uncompressed, 24-bit AVI requires only these two steps in VirtualDub:

Open video file (Ctrl-O).
Save AVI (F7).
How fast is this operation? On a C450, 40 frames per second (1.3x real-time speed). With a little tweaking, the speed rises to 55 fps (1.8x), with the CPU hardly breaking a sweat at 40%.

VirtualDub is cheap.
To be exact, it costs nothing. VirtualDub is licensed under the GNU General Public License, meaning you can use it for free. No risk involved, and the whole source code is available if you want it.

Caporegime
Version 1.6.11, build 23858

step2.JPG

step3.JPG

step4.JPG

step5.JPG
step6.JPG

Thats how I do it.

I think the pictures are an ok size, no one runs at less than 1280x960 anyway anymore do they? I dont know how to resize them.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom