battlefield 2 question

Soldato
hey i bought this game last week

and i must say it fun but not close to cs realy, maybe cos of problems im having

firstly it takes about 10 minuits to join a game, which is ridiculous, i click multiplayer icon then it says log in so i do, then i get the message connection to server or what ever, so i want about 5 mins an it jus puts me straight into a server , whats that about, how do i stop it??

and point B, it seems that it requires a hell of a system or im doing something wrong, my pc spec is :

3800 X2
7800gtx xxx
1gb corsair xms

bt i have to run the game at 1024 x 768 on full detail and i still get jerks when i turn corners etc.

cant run it any higher or i just cant move

help please cos i realy want to play it!

thx
joker xx

Associate
system looks fine and similar to mine although the graphics card is better. With dual core processors you need to change the affinity in the task manager to only 1 core as bf2 has issues. Dont use the play online shortcut just use the standard bf2 shortcut

Man of Honour
Also, turn textures down to medium instead of high, as you only have 1gb RAM and this will cause the high textures to write to disk, VERY slowly. then you should be able to whack it up to 1600x1200 no probs.

Soldato
You might want to try deleting your video cache.....I can't remember exactly where that is located at the moment. It's somewhere in My Documents, someone else will tell you where its located exactly.

Soldato
My Documents\Battlefield 2\mods\bf2\cache
people who have had stutters in the past have had it resolved by deleting the folders within this folder forcing a fresh optimization.

the textures as mentioned, medium texture quality and then you should be able to up the res. also perhaps try software sound if you have it set to hardware, as some cards have been known to cause a stutter when set to the latter.

as well as the not using the play now shortcut, don't click the play now button with-in the game, that will look for and connect you to a server. you can press escape to stop the connection during a mapload/connection.. login and click multiplayer at the top to access the server browser.

tweakguides has a worthy bf2 piece:
http://www.tweakguides.com/BF2_1.html

Last edited:
Associate
Does anyone else have significant perfromance drops when running on 64-player maps?

I have a FPS rate of between 55-99 when on 32 player maps but this drops to 30-40 when playing on 64... :confused:

Can't really understand why the drop - its not like all the players are lined up in front of me jumping around - they're all over the map. The map iteself is the same size - just more spawn points.

Any idea or tweaks to use for the larger maps?

Soldato
OP
Hector. also perhaps try software sound if you have it set to hardware said:
i have a x-fi platinum, would it be best to leave it hardware or software?

also i droped everything to medium but kept 4x AA on and uped to 1600 x 1200 helped a lot game runs good now bout 90fps

i will up stuff when i get another gb of ram

thx for help!

i will also try the cache thing too

joker
xx

Soldato
hardware and as said ultra high quality :cool:

Does anyone else have significant perfromance drops when running on 64-player maps?
yer both me and bro do.. i wonder if it's the client side of the netcode, there's a lot of incomming data that has to be parsed.

Soldato

also i droped everything to medium but kept 4x AA on and uped to 1600 x 1200 helped a lot game runs good now bout 90fps

i will up stuff when i get another gb of ram

thx for help!

i will also try the cache thing too

joker
xx

Stick it on Ultra High, if you have any problems, the new BETA X-Fi drivers are out which fixes some BF2 problems.

Permabanned
LastNightsPizza said:

I have a FPS rate of between 55-99 when on 32 player maps but this drops to 30-40 when playing on 64... :confused:

Can't really understand why the drop - its not like all the players are lined up in front of me jumping around - they're all over the map. The map iteself is the same size - just more spawn points.

Yep, just the way it is I guess..

Soldato
You're joining a server straight away probably because you've used the "Play Online Now" shortcut instead of just the plain Battlefield 2 shortcut

Larger 64 player maps put more demand on the CPU, hence the slowdown.

Permabanned
LastNightsPizza said:

does it for me as well

Associate
You need 2GB RAM for the 64 player games. Its a resource hog with 64.

If you keep having problems do a clean reinstall. Update with a single patch.

Soldato
Zefan said:
Also, turn textures down to medium instead of high, as you only have 1gb RAM and this will cause the high textures to write to disk, VERY slowly. then you should be able to whack it up to 1600x1200 no probs.
Most accurate post in this thread.
icon14.gif
Battlefield 2 eats about 1.5-1.75GB RAM with textures on high, at which point it starts gobbling up paging file if you have only 1GB of physical RAM in your machine, which is what causes the stutter as hard disks are incredibly slower at reading and writing data than random access memory is.

Back
Top Bottom