Punching Technique?

Permabanned
It's really not something that you can learn from the internet, get yourself down to your local boxing gym mate there's no other way, there are all sorts of dvds and videos on the internet claiming to instruct you in various martial arts, it's all rubbish.

Man of Honour
Conrad11 said:
Hi there,

Could anyone give me some pointers on some good punching techniques please?

Thanks....

The trick of a good punch is not to connect with the knuckles of your little finger and the one next to it. If you connect there then the bones are easily broken.

To connect, you should use the first 2 knuckles as they can take the brunt a lot more. Different arts teach different punches. I used to do Wado Ryu and punches were taught from a to b in a straight line and not a roundhouse haymaker. Also taught was the flat hand and half knuckle, a uraken if i remember rightly.

Can I ask why you want to know ?

Soldato
OP
Hi there,

I am not looking for any martial arts, I only wish to learn how to punch and make it hurt.

....Reason: self-defence I guess.

Cheers for responses guys...

Soldato
Knowing how to punch and make it hurt won't really do much if you don't know any system to defend yourself or know when to punch someone.

Like the other posters have suggested, get yourself to a boxing gym or try a martial art.

Don
I was always taught in Muay Thai, to punch with your shoulder as that give's the basic motion right for a good punch.

But it depends on the type of punch, the above is a straight punch, hook's and upper cuts are different though. As above you really need to be shown, it's not something you can just do. Get down to the gym fella :)

Associate
I have to echo what everyone else here has said, get to a boxing gym, or go to a martial arts school, you cant learn it from a book, you need to hit a heavy bag without breaking your wrist.

There are many different punches and styles of attack using the hands. In Lau Gar Kung Fu we use a lot of quick backfist attacks in order to stun a target then we can move in with hooks, uppercuts or a chop...

I am a little concerned about you feeling the need to hurt someone though :eek:

Associate
Definatly not,

ive had the old scrap outside the local takeaway after closing time and its lasted a lot more than one punch.lol

To learn how to punch you need to punch a lot, i mean get yourself a bag and go at it most nights. you will soon see if u are good at it, my mate done this for mths and was actually ok. no champ but could hit

Me personaly as the others said, get to a boxing gym like i did. Oh that was 8 years ago now and was fun, its a lot harder now its my job ;)

forget all that bruce lee crap aswell,

Last edited:
Associate
IceBus said:
What exactly is that meant to mean?

He wants to lean how to thro a punch, i guess to bust his bosses face up or somink,

Well if he is asking here i take it he cant, so telling him to to do a bruce lee special when he cant chuck a good right hand may be a little OTT.

"Not that anyone is" thats what i mean. i aint dissing any other sport of M-Arts dude. Respect....

Alchemy said:
I wouldn't mind going to a local boxing gym, but the thought leaves me terrified. Am I just being a wimp?

Dude everyone feels the same about that, i did and still do when i go to new clubs. All the same mate the only diffence between the guy who doesnt and the guy who does is. "Nothink" he just goes. ;)

Last edited:
Soldato
It's easy if you just want to make it hurt, not competitions or anything..

easy this one. I did a couple of self defence classes.. basically with your weaker arm, you deflect the punch, then with your strong hand(Right in my case) you do the palm push type thing..

eg:

Like that for hand positiion(Sorry about pic :p)
Just extend your wrist as fast as possible so the guys nose lands in the centre of your palm.
Has to be a forwards and up motion.
Apparently a broken nose discourages people :p

edit: this illustrates it better:

Last edited:
Associate
Alchemy said:
I wouldn't mind going to a local boxing gym, but the thought leaves me terrified. Am I just being a wimp?

perfectly natural, I end up sparring against far higher grades at my Kung Fu lessons. Believe me that adrenaline sure does flow :p

But at the end of the day everyone starts somewhere, and if you dont start you will never ever know.

Soldato
4Qman said:
He wants to lean how to thro a punch, i guess to bust his bosses face up or somink,

Well if he is asking here i take it he cant, so telling him to to do a bruce lee special when he cant chuck a good right hand may be a little OTT.

"Not that anyone is" thats what i mean. i aint dissing any other sport of M-Arts dude. Respect....

I was joking about the one inch punch :p :rolleyes: Bruce trained for over twenty years to be able to perform the feats he did, I was simply replying to the guy who said not to reply on one punch to win a fight and I meant that only someone with a similar level of training to Bruce Lee or any other highly experienced MA artist could rely on being able to do that 99/100.

georges said:
Just extend your wrist as fast as possible so the guys nose lands in the centre of your palm.
Has to be a forwards and up motion.
Apparently a broken nose discourages people :p

edit: this illustrates it better:

That's a brilliant way to kill someone. Striking the nose upwards is extremely dangerous even if you know what you're doing as get it even slightly wrong and you'll drive cartilage up through the front of the brain. Absolutely great if you want to be had up for manslaughter.

Soldato
OP
IceBus said:
That's a brilliant way to kill someone. Striking the nose upwards is extremely dangerous even if you know what you're doing as get it even slightly wrong and you'll drive cartilage up through the front of the brain. Absolutely great if you want to be had up for manslaughter.

Thats what I heard too.

I don't want to do martial arts and personally i think its only good for things other than fighting.

I just want to be able to get off a good punch if i ever end up in a fight.

Back
Top Bottom