Windows XP Professional

amx

amx

Associate
Good morning!

Am I right in assuming that OEM copies of Windows XP need to re-purchased if you change a major component in your PC such as the motherboard? or can it be installed over and over again, providing the license key is only in use on one PC?

Associate
You're right first time :)
It's for use with one "PC" and one PC only.
When the PC goes/dies then the OS goes with it.

The confusion comes when you try and define what single component makes a PC.
If your motherboard broke, and you are simple replacing it then this (as far as I am aware) is quite OK because you're not replacing the PC as such, you are just repairing it.

Hope that's all right and it's Ok for you :)

amx

amx

Associate
OP
Thanks for the quick reply!

Does the Full Retail version allow you to use it over and over, even if PC components are replaced?

Associate
Over and over again as many times as you like on any PC in the world...as long as it is on one PC and only once PC at a time :)
If you change a component then you're quite OK

Associate
I have windows oem, and I've changed my computer loads of times. I've called the 0800 microsoft helpline for a new serial number, and explained I've changed the m/b cpu and hd's, and they always give me a new number.
Last change was last week.

Soldato
The OEM version is tied to the component it is bought with, this can be pre loaded on a PC, or simply bought with a cable.... therefore you can install on another machine, as long as you have the component bought with the software, or you dispose of the original pc, read the OEM licence on your hdd.

Man of Honour
UKDTweak said:
The OEM version is tied to the component it is bought with, this can be pre loaded on a PC, or simply bought with a cable.... therefore you can install on another machine, as long as you have the component bought with the software, or you dispose of the original pc, read the OEM licence on your hdd.

This is wrong.

The OEM license needs to be bought with a qualifying piece of hardware to be eligible for an OEM licence. The Licence is then tied to the PC that it's installed on, not the piece of hardware that it was bought with.

If you change the MB in the PC, MS say that this then requires a new OEM licence.

If you have a pirarted version of XP, Microsoft will allow you to buy a retail version of the OS for about £92 (i think) which is not tied to a particular pc, you just have one concurrent software licence. This is a utter bargain and in most cases worth th extra money rather then getting another OEM copy.

Burnsy

Man of Honour
amx said:
Do they send you a copy of XP on CD/DVD to use in future with a keycode etc?

No. You don't get a cd, but you do get an update tool and a product code.

The Windows Genuine Advantage Kit for Windows XP will include a new 25-character Product Key and a Windows Product Key Update tool that will allow customers to convert their counterfeit copy to genuine Windows XP electronically.

Burnsy

Associate
Funny that, I had no problem obtaining a new key from ms 0800 number just the other day. They knew, I've changed my hardware. So far I've had 3 major changes all including new m/b's and cpu's.

All they did was ask a few questions, eg. if the product was installed on one pc, and this is deffo oem windows.

Man of Honour
Servo said:
Funny that, I had no problem obtaining a new key from ms 0800 number just the other day. They knew, I've changed my hardware. So far I've had 3 major changes all including new m/b's and cpu's.

All they did was ask a few questions, eg. if the product was installed on one pc, and this is deffo oem windows.

It's their policy not to issue activation in those circumstances and its worded so MS can revoke the licence in such cases. But you seem to have been lucky. They are in no obligation to allow you to reactivate again.

Burnsy

Associate
I bought an OEM copy of XP in 2002 without buying a single bit of hardware from a major retail outlet. I wonder how this would apply to my PC, which is the third PC since 2001 I have owned and used the same XP on. Anyway I have rang the 0800 number every 2-3 months for 4 years and always get a new serial number. They just ask me why and I tell them I do a lot of installing/uninstalling and need to clean up my PC every few months. I never knew they could refuse to give me a new key.

Michael

Associate
cyclopopcicle said:
dont any of you even find this ridiculas that when some hardware is replaced that you would have to buy a new oem product that isnt broke?
isnt this connage to the highest?
No.
The point is that you have a choice. If you dont want that restriction then get the version that doesnt have this licensing restriction.
Choice mun choice ;)

Yes, especially when Microsoft bring out a new operating system every couple of years anyway
Aye, 2001 to 2007 is a couple of years ;)

Associate
Pyrosoft said:
No.
The point is that you have a choice. If you dont want that restriction then get the version that doesnt have this licensing restriction.
Choice mun choice ;)

ok hows about looking at it this way
i buy a microwave oven the fuse blows but i know that if i change the fuse all will be well, but i have to go buy another microwave just so that the manufacturer can have more money

dont peaple buy oem because its cheeper because it comes with no other stuff like manuals, or see it this way would you buy another motherboard (oem) because you changed the bios settings
you have allready bought it and nothing is wrong with it so why pay again?

Associate
cyclopopcicle said:
ok hows about looking at it this way
i buy a microwave oven the fuse blows but i know that if i change the fuse all will be well, but i have to go buy another microwave just so that the manufacturer can have more money
Well if there is a choice of 2 contracts when you bought that Microwave, and you went for the one that was cheaper but had a restriction along the lines of not allowing you to change a fuse, then so be it.

cyclopopcicle said:
dont peaple buy oem because its cheeper because it comes with no other stuff like manuals, or see it this way would you buy another motherboard (oem) because you changed the bios settings
you have allready bought it and nothing is wrong with it so why pay again?
There is more than one reason why people buy OEM software, the reason you give is one reason, fair enough.

I'm not arguing with you here the simple fact is that if you want to install it on a single PC and only a single PC and get a new copy when that machine/component dies then you go and get the cheaper version. If you want to be free of that restriction, and get manuals and a box etc etc, then you pay that bit more.
No one is MAKING people buy OEM over a standard version.
Like I say, you have a choice.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am quite sure that MS would allow you to register it even if it was on a new PC as long as you tell them what they want to hear, it isnt going to be difficult.

Back
Top Bottom