What do you think of Mercedes?

Suspended
Never a lot mentioned around here about Mercedes and to be honest its not a car I would normally consider purchasing. I dont have anything against them (infact I support McLaren in F1 as much as you *support* a team in F1 without supporting any of its drivers specifically :p).

Some may remember me asking about BMW 5-Series few weeks back - well it turns out I can get a Mercedes pretty cheaply. My sisters partner (he works for Mercedes) has the option of getting them at cost. He is getting a brochure but its looking like something thats too good to pass up with no down side.

A top specced car at a v.good price (he mentioned he can do a stunning deal on Smart cars... but I decided to give that a miss :p).

However I realised something - I dont know much about Mercedes cars what they off etc :D I like the AMG cars but I dont think I can afford one of those even done at cost :( So whats the next best thing? C-Class? Their performance good/average? Apparently I might have to make do with a auto+trip but thats not a big deal as I am looking more for a LuxoBarge now I have done the high-revving sports. (Married later this year and the missus is looking broody).

Edit: By cost price I mean either spanky new or 2ndhand (including nearlly new). Cost price for 2ndhand will be the price Mercedes paid obviously so if someone traded it in it would be what the previous owner got.

Last edited:
Caporegime
If you were looking at 5-series then you shouldn't be looking at C-classes as they are the 3-series equivalent.

An E-class is where your money should be if you want somthing like the 5-series.

Soldato
I'm not keen on C classes at all. We had a couple at work, one of which had (within a year of purchase) a new gearbox, new cylinder head, new inlet manifold then finally an entire new engine - I don't remember what went wrong with it though.

The other ones we had (220 Diesels) were nice enough to drive (I took one to Paris a couple of times) but they felt very badly put together.

E classes are nice enough, but I'd rather have a 5 series.

Associate
BMW are better in terms of driver experience and build quality, but that popularity has made them less exclusive, Mercedes achieve the exclusivity through higher pricing both through buying and inparticular aftersales service, Mercedes are better in terms of modern enhancements and driver aids, but the bmw equivalents are better value and this is why they often win the awards in the executive sector.

Mercedes do much better at the higher end performance machines such as the SL 500/55 AMG etc the 2 seater cars are fantastic and bmw dont match them, although the M5 and M3 are exceptional value for money.

rug

rug

Associate
I've . got a c class which is 3 years old in sept. To be honest its only ever been to the dealer for one recall and service work. It drives pretty well, handles better than the tt i had before, much better steering. If you get the right spec/equipment they look better than the new 3 series imho. Sports pack and zenons and they look good.
They do a c320 diesel now, 150mph, 0-60 under 7 seconds as an auto. Pricey but nice Q car. New c class due in 2007 I think so maybe not a good new private purchase.

Soldato
My parents have a pretty highly specced C220. Compared to my 330d, it has a better finish - stuff like the Stereo being awesome, much better than that of my 3, classy dials, dual zone climate control, electric seats, damped grab handles etc. It has a feel of quality to it, but in some places (like the pop-out cup holders in the rear armrest, and the rear air vents) cheap plastics are used which, although add functionality, take away some of that quality feel.

Essentially, Merc seem to have focussed all their quality into the main components of the interior, and skimped on the little accessories added on after. BMW, have gone for the same approach, but not bothered adding any gubbins after anyway, so it feels like they have the edge in build quality.

It's a Sport model which means it has wider wheels and sport suspension. Handling is impressive, but still not quite as good as the 3. The 2.2litre Diesel has 150bhp, and masses of torque, which is on par with the 320d of the time. Although our one is an Auto, so performance is stifled somewhat.

The C220 is an '04 reg, so was built after Merc's major quality issue era. My Mum had a T-reg A-Class which was shocking - cheap plastics, rattles and squeaks, everywhere. The C-Classes we looked at of the same era were equally shocking.

Pics:
car4ry.jpg

merc6fr.jpg

Soldato
Dad's got an older (1998?) C240 Elegance, auto. Base interior, but still quite comfortable and lovely V6, I enjoy driving it :)

Cloth interior and no CD player though....dear, dear me!

I love the speed limiter though, so nice for driving around with. Especially around towns.

Works great though, as you can launch from stationery and the car will rocket to the limited speed as fast as possible, then go bonkers bouncing off the limiter :D

It's been quite reliable, but sometimes servicing can be a bit steep but other than that, only been dodgy when the AFM gummed up a bit, s'very nice motor :)

Mercedes_C240_1_g.jpg

Same as this.

Oh, forgot one thing - there was an inherent fault on both front springs. Sitting on the drive, one front spring imploded on itself, shearing in two, causing the car to flatten out.

If that'd happened at 80, we'd be dead as a doornail most likely as it'd have flipped the car, or piled it into the central reservation.

When we inspected the other spring, it showed the same flaw at the same place, just not as developed.

Mercedes were not interested whatsoever.

Last edited:
Soldato
Dad's having some problems with his 200k atm. The washer switch is faulty, and merc can't seem to work out why, so its been in and out a bit recently, and the costs are adding up (they think they've found the problem, but its a £400 part, so they're seeing if merc will pay).

He also had problems with two of the springs snapping, which isn't exceptable in a car this age (52 reg), but merc sorted it sharpish and paid for it despite it not being under warranty. The service from the dealar, and Merc UK was excellent throughout.

He got a Black 180 Sport as a curtesy car the other week, small engine, but beautiful to look at, and the interior was very nice.

Soldato
Nozzer said:
Not as good as they used to be. Saloons for fat execs or old men, the coupes for rappers/shag brokers. AMG versions I'm undecided on.

Not quite. They were very good (the best), then sufferred serious quality issues in the late 90's early 00's but have now (apparently) sorted those issues out and are back on form. And I wouldnt say a mercedes driver is any fatter than a bmw driver ;)

but anyway....

You dont specifically say what your budget is but I guess you're looking at nearly new c class or slightly older E class. C Class is still quite a big car but as said above, its not to be compared to a 5 series, which is where the E class is positioned. As for the AMG's they are awesome machines. I took an E55 (5.5 ltr V8) for a testdrive and it was truly awe inspiring. 360BHP 1998 car pretty much immaculate and it just never felt like the power was going to stop! I reckon the test drive probably cost a tenner in petrol though so not the cheapest car to run, although servicing isnt that bad really - less than £1k a year at the main steeler. Nearly bought it but decided the mrs would kill me (and its a foot too long to fit in my garage!) as it would dent the savings account too much, but really it felt like a bargain at £11K. In the end I went for the sensible option of an old C Class 2ltr. Only 136BHP but economical to run, cheap to insure, fts in my garage and cant fault the car. Handles and rides beautifully and very solidly screwed together (original C Class was designed before the quality decisions were made by the MB bigwigs)

I'd guess something like an E320 would be an ideal car. Great performance but you dont need to buy shares in BP to run the thing.

Decent reviews here:

E Class
http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=503&page=1

C Class
http://www.parkers.co.uk/choosing/carreviews/review.aspx?model_id=536

Man of Honour
Noxis said:
Edit: By cost price I mean either spanky new or 2ndhand (including nearlly new). Cost price for 2ndhand will be the price Mercedes paid obviously so if someone traded it in it would be what the previous owner got.

So really all you are getting is the car at trade price - I can show you how to get a nice 5 Series at trade price - its what I'll be doing most probably.

As for Mercedes, as a brand its a brand I love - especially their current product range but some of their previous stuff isn't as good as the BMW equivilent - the 95-02 E Class is a key example. Released in 1995, it was a car which was finally as good as the BMW 5 Series. Unfortunately, the 5 Series in question was the E34, so after a year of Mercedes being rather chuffed with themselves BMW rained on their parade royally with the introduction of the E39 and the E Class became a car you only bought if you couldnt stomach a BMW.

Current stuff is decent - the S Class is an epic car and, to be honest, always has been and I'd always have it over the BMW equivilent. The SLK is brilliant and residually amazing, SL and CL again great cars, etc etc.

Even the current C Class isn't that bad.

Would I pick a current Merc over a current BMW? Very maybe - it'd be a close run thing.

Would I pick a £10k Merc over an E39 5 Series? Not until hell froze over, unless it was an S Class.

So, thats the cars. Now, lets talk about the image each brand has.

In some areas of the UK, a BMW has a negative image. It's a car bought by jerks, morons and drug dealers and has a dodgy image as a result - hence the 'BMW driver' stories about the outside lane, etc etc. They are still seen, largely, as prestigious cars becuase they are but there is no denying that in some places, some people will hate you for owning a BMW. This doesn't bother me but it does bother some.

Now Mercedes. Even though they make some junk and, lets face it, the current C Class isn't as good as the 3 Series, the image is cast iron. Seriously, Mercedes = posh. You could turn up in a base model C180 Classic, park it next to a BMW 330i Sport, and you'd have arrived in a Mercedes Benz whereas the other bloke would be a git. If you see what I mean.

Nobody seems jealous of Mercedes, they simply respect them. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of BMW, largely down to the type of driver the more sporting image often attracts.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Pretty ugly these days. Not at all what I'd want from a car, but if you don't mind the way they look nor the kind of person that drives them then there's no real problem...

Caporegime
[TW]Fox said:
you'd have arrived in a Mercedes Benz whereas the other bloke would be a git. If you see what I mean.

Nobody seems jealous of Mercedes, they simply respect them. The same, unfortunately, cannot be said of BMW, largely down to the type of driver the more sporting image often attracts.

Couldn't put it better if i say so myself and very funny to boot.

Soldato
The wife has a new model (last december) A150 Avantgard. It's fine although the soft touch interior seems to attract dirty fingerprints and smudges something chronic. It's going back to the garage tomorrow as it has a bit of a buzz coming from the left demist vent. It goes away if you press it with your finger, but I'm not letting Merc get away with Ford build quality (she had a Ka before. Good grief, it had so many rattles and buzzes it sounded like a swarm of bees had taken up residence).

They are driving from Loughborough to Swadlincote (about half an hour or so) with a courtesy car and driving ours back there as we told them we couldn't be bothered to drive to Loughborough. I think, for a mere piece of vibrating trim, that's decent service for a £15k car.

We did have hassle with the finance manager though. He was a knob who wasn't very thourough and so messed up quite a bit, to the point where we nearly pulled out of the purchase.

Soldato
AMG Mercs make up some of my dream cars, SLK55 and C55 and the CL65 to name a few.

"Normal" Mercs are also pretty nice, but some are a little naff, the A-class doesnt bare a mention, Ive been in a few and it doesnt feel like anything special at all.

I like the new C-class although the older one has a better reputation, but as already said they are improving.

The M-class is made in America and apparently it suffers over it. I have seen brand new ones rolling around with suspension so squeaky you'd be embarressed if your old Alegro was making that sound.

Probably the most diverse manufacturer in terms of quality - some is fantastic, some is very not.

Like all German cars I think they are getting too complicated for their own good and Im afraid German electronics are not brilliant.

Associate
my girldfriend has a C200 Sport model which although at times does look very nice i find the build quality and materials are crap compared with my E46, a lot of the plastics feel like they've come from an old japanese car and i've found that there have been a lot of problems with it, i.e doors squeeking , trim falling off.

The 5 series would be equivalent to the E class, i've driven both and found that the E class is a lot woftyer and feels more like a large heavy machine. the BMW drives a lot sharper and has better grip.

Ther performance i find BMW always beating mercedes too it, all the equivalent models seem to be faster to 60 and have more power. for example the C320 has about 215bhp where as the 330i has 258bhp. they are also cheaper.

BMW's build quality is very very good and have never faulted my car but servicing costs are a little higher i've found.

The point of BMW being more common, well i think that really speaks for it's self. they are top cars and built very well.

Image: well i see BMW as more of a younger drivers cars and the 7er being around 35-50 mark which is still a lot younger then the S class market. BMW's seem to me to be more sportier and "racerified", where as Mercs appear to be more Golf , old guy with with tweed jacket and driving gloves.

*S

Associate
Mercedes? She was a lovely girl although I'm glad her dad didn't use her surname instead. I mean, who'd want to drive around in a Jellinek ? :p

Suspended
OP
Thanks for all the input guys (some of you need to get more sleep :eek: ).

I am not really looking at a equivilent for a 5-Series, I just didnt really like the BMW 3 Series that much (talking internal comfort here rather than performance etc).

I have mentioned no budget or anything as its a general enquiry and I dont know yet how much of a saving I am going to get.

One option is like £200 a month and get a C55 AMG and change it every 9 months. But that relys on my sisters bf to not want a car himself :p (he doesnt have a license yet as he loves his bikes - has a Suzuki TL1000R :eek: ).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom