• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

help me tell a m8 what gfx card to get

Associate
i gave this friend my old stuff a while ago the main things were

9800xt 256
3.2 p4
1024 pc3200 ram
maxtor 7500rmp hd

now it played cs and half life 2 fine but now he wants to play oblivion as good as possible with having to upgrade to pci-e. What he wants to know is if he gets the best AGP gfx card possible, is his current setup will it be good enough to run oblivion quite high. I said yes but to be honest i dont want him to buy it then find out it wont work. So i ask people here, just to be sure :D
(and the gfx he'll probly get is Gainward BLISS GeForce 7800 GS+ SILENT 512MB GDDR3)

,thxs

Man of Honour
I'd be thinking for a while before spending the better part of £300 on the fastest AGP card ever likely to be made. It should make it playable, how high the framerates are and what sort of eye-candy isn't something I am altogether sure about.

Has he considered buying a socket 478(I'm assuming that is what it is) motherboard with PCI-E and then getting a 7900gt or X1800XT and another gb of Ram as that will work out to be about the same price but gives him a PCI-E graphics card from which to build a new system in the future plus more Ram for right now.

Soldato
Another consideration may be would that CPU be holding back a bleeding edge graphics card? I couldn't say, but it may. I had an issue a few years back where I had a P4 2.53GHz with a GF4Ti4800, and upgrading to a GF6600GT made such a minor improvement - so I decided to make a new rig just because the benefits were there. It may be difficult but if you could find a top graphics card to test in his machine first, see if there are improvements and then make a decision. A cheap A64 system would play games better than his current setup imo.

Soldato
Nvidia cards dont perform too good in Oblivion, a £170 X1800XT PCIe would be quicker than a £300 7800GS+ AGP. So if that's his main game, then buying the 7800 might be a little dissapointing (although it works great in all other games)

Many latest games are GPU limited, so the P4 3.2ghz will still be fine. If you can find a PCI-e motherboard for the P4 (and his PSU is good enough) then that is the way to go. (or just bite the bullet and get a new PC)

Associate
OP
cheers for all your help, i told him to go pci. I found out his willing to part with £500, but he doesnt like chainging pc components himself, so i probably do that for him.

,thxs

Back
Top Bottom