New build

Associate
Hi

I am doing a new build very soon and would like your opinions on what PSU to go for heres what I have so far parts wise.

MOBO = Asus P5WD2-E Premium Intel 975X
CPU = Intel Pentium 4 950 Dual Core
RAM = OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Gold GX XTC Series ---Not Anymore--
HDD = 2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 16MB

Then I was looking at getting these parts from OcUK next few days.

Grapix card = Sapphire ATI Radeon X1800 XT 512MB
Case = Thermaltake VB1000BWS Soprano
PSU = Thermaltake PurePower 560W Silent

Have I missed something or made a boo boo anywhere you can see?
What do you lot reckon?

Thanx John

EDIT

Now the RAM is this instead.
OCZ 2GB Kit DDR2-667 PC2-5400 Gold

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
You'll want a CPU heatsink, mate. Consider the Scythe Ninja or the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7.

EDIT: Holy crap! How'd I miss this the first time around? That mobo needs DDR2 memory and you've only spec'd DDR (as far as I can tell). The two are entirely imcompatible.

Last edited:
Soldato
FSP (Sparkle), Enermax, Tagan & Seasonic (in no particular order) are currently the highly recommended PSU makers to choose from :D

EDIT: The Raptors are known to be very noisy :eek: & two(2) :eek: :eek: I'd go for 1 & a quiet large hard disk like a Samsung for backups/etc :cool:

Last edited:
Associate
BillytheImpaler said:
EDIT: Holy crap! How'd I miss this the first time around? That mobo needs DDR2 memory and you've only spec'd DDR (as far as I can tell). The two are entirely imcompatible.

Hasn't he already got the RAM and Mobo though? Cuz he said...

johneva said:
heres what I have so far parts wise.

Surely they won't work together?

Soldato
/ need specs :o

Yes 'boo boo' on the memory!
Asus P5WD2-E Premium said:
Dual channel memory architecture
4 x 240-pin DIMM sockets support max. 8GB DDR2 800/ 667/ 533 ECC and non-ECC memory
Native DDR2 800 Support
Intel® MPT (Intel® Memory Pipeline Technology)
ASUS Hyper Path3

Associate
OP
I dont belive what an idiot I am yeah I did not realize I ordered the wrong RAM, I even knew that I needed the DDR2 and thought thats what I had untill it was just pointed out on here.

I just did not read it properly, grrrrr.

I got the RAM from a shop on ebay in the US I ordered it yesterday so it will already be on the way I should think, I have tryed emailing him explaining my misstake and explained I am still after a few diffrent bits so asked if it has not been sent yet to contact me so I can tell him the other bits I still need.

Well I wont do that again in a hurry. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Sorted I am so glad you pointed out that I had got the wrong RAM as I have now managed to change my order to the DDR2 version thank god. :D

Also cheers for your advice on the CPU cooler and PSU aswell guys. ;)

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 and
FSP Sparkle FX600-GLN Epsilon 600W ATX2.0 PSU

It is then.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right now them things are sorted, I have just thought does anybody know if it is worth my while changing from the standard fans that come with that case I was looking at?

As there only cheap for a few fans but if it is gonna keep it cooler or quiter or both in changing from the standard then I might aswell do it.

Even more so that I know these dual core pentiums run hot anyways and with the rest of the gear I am getting I should imagine it getting rather hot in there.

What you reckon guys?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom