Petrol theft?

Soldato
Is it common nowadays, especially from Range Rovers? The tank is exposed, so I guess it's fairly easy to do if you know what you're doing...

It seems like somebody's emptied the tank of ours, as I can't see a leak anywhere, and there's certainly not enough petrol on the floor.. the gauge reads totally empty, and there was about half a tank in there yesterday.

petrolspill.jpg

Or is there another explanation for that?!

Soldato
Does look fairly suspicious to me. Small line of spillage from a hose is quite evident trailing off towards the bottom of the picture.

I've not heard of anything like this before though...I expect most cars don't have this problem, but like you say - if the petrol tank is exposed...

Bloomin' ******!

Soldato
OP
siztenboots said:
Have they punctured into the tank and then drained it , or just taken it from a fuel line ?

I really don't know.. it's hard to tell at the moment, and because it's parked on the road it's not easy to get a proper look.

I can't see or smell petrol strongly around the tank, and there are no drips at all.

Associate
OllyM said:
I really don't know.. it's hard to tell at the moment, and because it's parked on the road it's not easy to get a proper look.

I can't see or smell petrol strongly around the tank, and there are no drips at all.

P'raps they plugged the hole and will be back later for a refill.

Soldato
I can see it happening. Tbh I cant see why their has not been any hijacking of petrol tankers yet? They will be carrying a lot of money considering the price of fuel, perhaps a black market for petrol in the future?

Associate
Nathan said:
I can see it happening. Tbh I cant see why their has not been any hijacking of petrol tankers yet? They will be carrying a lot of money considering the price of fuel, perhaps a black market for petrol in the future?

The only figures I could find were road tankers approx 7300 gallons, so £1 a litre would be £4.54 a gallon, and a tanker worth £33000

Last edited:
Soldato
are you sure whats on the ground is petrol and not dog wee wee? smell it and see...

if you had had someone syphon it off surely you wouldnt get spillage from behind the car. is it possible you have a dodge fuel guage? even when totally empty the needle will come off its mark and never read 0 unless it was broken.

Soldato
OP
Phantom said:
are you sure whats on the ground is petrol and not dog wee wee? smell it and see...

if you had had someone syphon it off surely you wouldnt get spillage from behind the car. is it possible you have a dodge fuel guage? even when totally empty the needle will come off its mark and never read 0 unless it was broken.

It's petrol... it smells of petrol, at least :p

The tank is empty, I'm sure.. it'd be a huge coincidence if the fuel gauge broke overnight. The light is on too.

Soldato
siztenboots said:
The only figures I could find were road tankers approx 7300 gallons, so £1 a litre would be £4.54 a gallon, and a tanker worth £33000

It was on the news the other day that a single tanker of petrol (shell were the example), retails on the forecourt for £40,000

That picture in the OP does look suspect to be honest.

So yer, I think the way we are going this kind of stuff is going to become a hell of a lot more common.

Man of Honour
Man of Honour
siztenboots said:

A few years ago I was working for a large retailer who had a whole container full of wine stolen.
The only good news was that it was Liefraumilch. That probably had a retail value of around £50k, but god help the poor suckers who had to drink that dirge.

Back
Top Bottom