Damn & blast watercooling!

Associate
I leak tested for 24 hours as of yesterday before my graphics card came. Seated my CPU in etc. checked that the watercooling was still secure, and what do you know, I turn on my PC and water gushes all over my bloody motherboard. The PC didn't cut out so I yanked the power cable. What's the likelihood of it being intact? Unfortunately my graphics card won't be coming today as a result of it being out of stock here. Reckon if I leave it to try it'll be alright? :(

Soldato
Bad luck :(

Hope is still works though. As you did use de-ionised water though, there is a good chance - just don't use it until you are sure it's COMPLETELY dry.

Associate
OP
Not much. There was a little bit of dripping on top of the pump, presumably the pressure. So i've got hold of some PTFE tape for that. Basically I just slotted the motherboard in and rescrewed down the block on to it. After a post examination it would seem that the tubing was entering it at a slightly odd angle. Wasn't as much water as I first thought that got on to the motherboard, had lots of tea towels handy in case.

This is my first water cooling jobby too, so it was effectively my fault anyway. Next time I think i'll go for a kit where you use those jubilee bands, rather than the tube sliding right in.

Man of Honour
jidh007 said:
rather than the tube sliding right in.

Do you mean the quick connect / push fit type fitting ?

They work fine. Ensure you cut the tubing at 90 degrees and push and twist hard.

You could also leak test using a "hotwired" PSU , that way no power is going to your internal components (Apart from your PSU).

Bad luck , and I hope no serious damage was caused.

Ditto above posts , Do not retry untill completely dry.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
Associate
Those fancy quick connect thingys aren't any good, I hate them! :D Anyhow, you should be fine. I mean, I spilled water all over my x1800xt, no problem after a quick dry. You could spray on some isopropyl alcohol or similar which will evaporate the water quickly.

Associate
OP
Well I've cleaned all the PCI slots out, seems to be ok. Looks like most of the water was in the case, rather than on any components, thank god.
About the hot wiring the PSU thing, well I'd been leak testing with basically everything in its antistatic bags and the layout I wanted in the case. It would seem I didn't push one in far enough in or something, then knocked it when I went to fit the CPU in.
Seems all dry now but i'll leave it over night before I toy with it again. I'm just praying there's no long term damage!

Associate
jidh007 said:
Well I've cleaned all the PCI slots out, seems to be ok. Looks like most of the water was in the case, rather than on any components, thank god.
About the hot wiring the PSU thing, well I'd been leak testing with basically everything in its antistatic bags and the layout I wanted in the case. It would seem I didn't push one in far enough in or something, then knocked it when I went to fit the CPU in.
Seems all dry now but i'll leave it over night before I toy with it again. I'm just praying there's no long term damage!

There is a VERY good chance that it's all working just fine. Bear in mind that I spilled a whole lot on my x1800xt when the computer was turned on! Water on the components when it's turned off should under normal circumstances not do any damage whatsoever

EDIT: And you also said you were quick turning it off? My screen went all black :p

Associate
yeah i wouldnt trust those quick-connects jobs either, get normal hose-barbs, and use steel jubilee clips, the hose wont move nowhere with those babys tightened up!

Soldato
my experience with the barbs and jubilee clips are bad! 3 times ruined graphics cards when pressure built up and flooded my case.

not used the screw fit type connectors but it looks good as similar principle to the barb clip but better connectors.

Man of Honour
gr1mey said:
yeah i wouldnt trust those quick-connects jobs either, get normal hose-barbs, and use steel jubilee clips, the hose wont move nowhere with those babys tightened up!

If fitted CORRECTLY there is no problem with quick-connects.

I have 11 in my set-up and no leaks at all.

Cheers,

Mark

Soldato
damn, hard luck mate !
i think the best way as sum1 said before is to attach everything as u nrmaly would, unplug the mobo ATX lead(s) and all other powerr leads ( HDDs etc) and hotwire the PSU... this way the leak test wont be altered at all when uyou go for first power up.

hard lines mate !
keep us informed

Back
Top Bottom