• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Graphics card memory

Soldato
The main thing I read graphics card memory is for is giving better res. What I wanted to know what other things does it effect? I was just wondering so in future I can make the right choice in what cards I should buy.

Associate
That's only true to a certain extent. The GPU needs to be fast enough to process all of the extra data, and the memory needs to be fast enough to pass that data on to the GPU.

It's pointless on some of the low end cards, as the frame rates will be appaling.

Soldato
In general the more memory a graphics card has - the more details you can turn up - ie the higher the settings that you can use.....

BUT, as someone already said - if the card isn't good enough to produce decent frame rates, with the details turned down - then it is a waste to have the extra memory, because you'll just get even lower frames if you turn the details up!!

Soldato
OP
div0 said:
In general the more memory a graphics card has - the more details you can turn up - ie the higher the settings that you can use.....

BUT, as someone already said - if the card isn't good enough to produce decent frame rates, with the details turned down - then it is a waste to have the extra memory, because you'll just get even lower frames if you turn the details up!!

I've seen a 512mb 7900GT here on OcUK which looked fantastic value I think it was around £270 thats what got me thinking.

Soldato
kdd said:
Yeh get a 7900 gt they're the most overclockable and best value card atm tbh.
I hate to go off-topic, but since there's no PM function and you have not enabled your trust, I will just ask you here. Why you have decided to quote one of my posts, out of context I might add, and use it as a signature in a way that I view as a personal attack?

I don't even know who you are, no less how I have offended you in such a way that would make you do something so childish, so please remove it or I will ask the forum staff if I'm within my rights to have them do it for you.

Soldato
It's a bit disturbing to see the mockey of Exsomnis considering hes very active on these forums and very helpful to a lot of people who come here for advice, i'd get rid of that sig mate its not particularly funny.

Soldato
Vegeta said:
It's a bit disturbing to see the mockey of Exsomnis considering hes very active on these forums and very helpful to a lot of people who come here for advice, i'd get rid of that sig mate its not particularly funny.
I wouldn't be bothered at all if I had a clue who the guy is. :confused: That's the thing that bothers me. Well, that and the fact that it's a quote out of context.

Anyway, I'll stop hijacking now. ;)

Back
Top Bottom