the happiness formula

Soldato
Anyone watching this on the television right now? Its on channel 2.

Basically, its about happiness(as you probably guessed), its explaining how people are happier when they bond, and have good communities. People that interact more etc, live longer, and its saying how people during the 40's, 50's were a lot happier than people are now, because there was good communities etc. The presenter wen't to an asian country(can't remember the name of the place?), and he found out that they didn't have televisions until a couple of years ago, and as soon as they got televisions, that was the communities, and family time out of the window, they don't bond as much anymore.

Ah, its just finished as I write this. Perhaps someone will be able to tell you more about what happend in the program.

What do you all this about this?
Do you think that bonding, and having great friends and communities is the way forward? Do you think there correct, saying that it makes people a lot happier, and even live longer?

[edit]
Here's a description of the program from yahoo:
Series in which Mark Easton delves into the practical formula of happiness. He looks back to a golden age where people looked after their neighbours and you could leave the doors open and finds that modern research into happiness shows that things were indeed better in the 1950s.

Easton asks what can be done to make our society more cohesive again and wonders if the new science of happiness suggests that multicultural societies are destined to be unhappy.

Man of Honour
It's probably true......When I went to India 10 years ago everybody used to come out at night and say hello to each other, even the kids and teens. Nowadays they mostly stay indoors as the middle class is very westernised!

Soldato
Do you think that bonding, and having great friends and communities is the way forward?

Umm is this a trick question? :confused:

I grew up in Suffolk in a strong village community, having spent a couple of years in London and then 3 years in Birmingham I am now going back home...

Soldato
happiness is a state of mind, not a set of circumstances although knowing that doesn't necessarily help you get happier.

human beings, like all their close relatives, are genetically programmed to form communities as it is a evolutionary advantage - it stands to reason that this would make us happy.

Soldato
Abso-*******-lutely!!!

My self and my neighbours have a great time in the summer when we can get together outside ... BBQs etc or just sitting/drinking and chatting .... 16 flats and nearly everyone comes to join in at some point.

Throw your TV away ..... meet real people, learn what OTHER people need/want/love/hate etc ... much more enjoyable than sitting inside watching **** on the TV.

I mean this! ..................... it works!

Peace to the world/power to the people! .... ****, no! ....showing my age now ...

Seriously, the enjoyment one gets from actually "interacting" with other people is not to be scoffed at.

We could all live better lives if we tried to be friendly and get away from our selfish me!me!me! lives.

Back
Top Bottom