Mondeo troubles

Soldato
No, I don't own a Mondeo;) but my father does. Its a 52 plate, ~50,000 miles with FSH. 2.0 Duratec I think, LX model.

Problem 1:
When idleing the engine sounds likes its "pumping", the rev counter goes from 800 to 1000rpm while making this noise. It stops when the engine is warm.

Problem 2:
Throttle is slow to shut off, when changing gear the revs are still coming down when we goes into the next gear and wants to accelerate. I thought this may be just a stiff acclerator pedal? Maybe more to it given problem 1...

Any help appreciated, somethings not right. I told him to get an Accord:mad:;)

Soldato
IIRC when this problem happens on Hyundai Coupes its the TPS, throttle position sensor. Not sure if this is the same thing though, but sure does sound like it...

Soldato
Could well be the TPS - they do occasionally go on the Focus and Mondeo. On the Mk3 Mondeo you buy the whole pedal and TPS assembly and swap it over. There is no throttle cable to mess with.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, how much for a TPS and how hard is it to replace? I think the car still has some warranty so might all be irrelvant, but just out of interest what do you reckon?

Soldato
Princey said:
I doubt its the TPS to be honest I sounds more like the idle control valve. Just clean it with some card cleaner.

Quoted for truth

the fact it does it at idle gives it away for me.

should be a 4 bolt off job, squirt in loads of carb cleaner, drain, squirt full of wd40 whack on and whack off

Associate
Mk1 and Mk2 reset the ECU , remove fuses 4 and 11 from the fusebox next to the battery in the engine bay and leave the car for about 15 minutes.

It will relearn ICV settings , then take out for a good drive using all throttle positions and gears.

Soldato
re: Problem 2. This is known as throttle hang and is by design, some people it bothers others it doesn't. I fall into the it doesn't bother camp personally as I don't find it effects gearchanges at all, the engine is declutched and your gonna want to bring the revs up before reclutching anyways. I have also only ever owned and driven V6 mondeos so it may be worse on smaller engines.

If it does bother you search for throttle hang fix on the meg forums and you'll find a DIY solution to it.

Back
Top Bottom