• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

X1800 and X1900 fan speed

Soldato
I've been doing a little reading via searching google in regard to the fan speed on my x1800. I'm curious to wether the same applies to the x1900 or wether it was something they tackld.

Since i received my x1800xt Sapphire a week or so ago its been amazingly fast, and had no problems with it until i started adding more onto the PC, software wise, i did however defrag after every removal or adding of any program or game using Executive Software Diskeeper 10. So as things were added, so came lag on my games once running at max settings and 1600 x 1200 res. I did however still notice the fan just wasnt really speeding up much if anything during these laggy periods. I've had to take my settings down a little for games now and i'm feeling a little fustrated. With that said i did find some very pleasing information, from what i've read the x1800 fan defaults at 13-21% speed until it feels the need to speed up, but by using ATI Tools you can override the fan control. I've yet to play a game, but i did run the artifact test in ATI Tool and found the GPU hitting 80C and hardly speeding up to compensate. So i used the fan control and set the fan to adjust when it hits 65C. So artifact test again, hits 65C in no time, this time fan speeds up and compensates, steadily sits at 65C until i abort test.

By means of assumption, i'm guessing my GPU getting hot in-games could seriously be the reason i've seen an increase in lag as the system comes under more stress.

On another note though i had a toy with my CPU last night and hit 2.2 without upping the vcore, but locked up after 30 mins, but i can see an overclock becoming an inivitable possibility. :D

So to summerise, whats peoples experience on the fan issue, and do the x1900 also have this same problem?

Soldato
Hi, I didnt bother reading your whole post but I think I know why your card may seem slow in games.

When I use ATI Tool and ATI CCC I sometimes find that when I run 3d mode it clocks down my card well below normal levels to 475/600, so basically either uninstall ati tool or keep ati tool and get rid of ati ccc.
Installing things doesnt affect system speed that much on high end pc's anymore.

Soldato
OP
CCC overdrive does the same for me, except CCC does not give me the fan control, which means it generally gets much hotter.

I've just cranked the core and memory up a little and i'm off to test BF2, will post back.

Soldato
OP
When it hits 80-90C, the fans speed up, but not enough imo.

I'd rather have it louder and doing more cooling, i think i'm gonna change the cooler at some point anyway, its ridiculously loud when it really goes some, but then i half expected that when i decided to get a x1800.

Still an awesome card though don't get me wrong, was just a little annoyed with how the fan speed works.

Back
Top Bottom