Only 1 HDMI input - what now?

Soldato
How serious a problem is this on an LCD or plasma TV? Obviously as time progresses there'll be more and more HDMI gadgets available to connect inc. consoles and HD-DVD/Blu-Ray players.

Are we all faced with using those ghastly looking switch boxes?

Soldato
MrMoon said:
or get an AV amp that has HDMI as it can output all 3 connections to just one socket on your TV

To fully take advantage of high def you need great sound too. As the technology becomes more common, cheaper and cheaper receivers and all in one systems will start to incorporate HDMI.

Soldato
I wouldn't say it was a big problem as most TV's also have component and DVI. My telly cost 2k and only has 1 hdmi which I used briefly with a DVD player but am currently using a HTPC via vga. My amp deals with all the sound sources so my telly is always on mute anyways.

There are hdmi splitter boxes on the auction sites for pennies as well so I don't ever see it being a big issue.

Soldato
well twin hdmi tvs are now starting to break in, the tosha wtl66? and the new samsuing m series screens, i bet the splitters will get a whole lot cheaper soon, i dont see why those boxes shouldnt be 20 quid anyway to be honest

Soldato
Eliot said:
well twin hdmi tvs are now starting to break in, the tosha wtl66? and the new samsuing m series screens, i bet the splitters will get a whole lot cheaper soon, i dont see why those boxes shouldnt be 20 quid anyway to be honest
As demand takes up for them,then they drop in price..
I guess right now there very few being sold with so few items having HDMI..

Associate
pinkaardvark said:
There are hdmi splitter boxes on the auction sites for pennies as well so I don't ever see it being a big issue.

pennies? Cheapest 1 to 2 HDMI splitter I've seen is £120! Lucky my JVC has component and 2 HDMI inputs eh? :)

Associate
a half decent switcher is nearly 200. Dont ask me why, they just are unfortunately.

id sell the tv quick and buy another one, twin hdmis are out on various models, have been for a while on certain models.

It was one of the main reasons i bought toshiba tbh

Caporegime
Goatboy said:
From what I've read component won't do 1080p, not because of cable limitations just because no TV inputs go above 1080i

"A couple of high-end Hp's can handle 1080p via computer inputs. The HP models, specifically the 58-inch MD5880n and the 65-inch MD6580n."

Component 1080p will work in the future though when new tvs come out.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom