Spark, no oxygen?

Caporegime
NicktheNorse said:
theres one thing ive always wondered but never been able to rationally answer:

can you fire a revolver in space? (or a vacuum, whatever)

No, there is no oxygen, the propellent wouldnt be able to ignite.

Caporegime
the_brainaic said:
I believe the oxygen in the bullet is locked up in a solid molecule? And I don't know how thats supposed to 'leak' out.

I think you mean a solid state, all molecules are solid, you'd need tons of pressure to keep oxygen solid I seriously doubt any cartridge could contain that pressure, it would have to be airtight otherwise the pressure escaping would cause the cartridge to explode if the solid oxygen pellet instantly expanding didnt. Though of course when the bullet leaves the cartridge the gun would explode anyway from the pressure release.

Last edited:
Don
I think the point he's making is that the oxygen required is actually locked up chemically in the solid propellant. Not sure about the particular propellant used in a gun round, but certainly a lot of explosives if I remember correctly have the oxygen they need for combustion held chemically in the explosive themselves.

Jokester

Mic

Mic

Soldato
Tried&Tested said:
firetri.gif

"...you can't have one without the..other!"

pr1026900.jpg
That show rocked. Wonder what ever happaned to Bud though.

Soldato
As posted before, a spark does not equal a fire.

And you can most definately have an electrical spark without oxygen. Not a whole lot of oxygen around when you're underwater welding. Not a whole lot of oxygen present in an HID light. Or a sodium lamp.

Now, if you're talking about fire, then the answer is : in most cases, no. But in a Class D fire, yes.

Oh, and as for firing a pistol in space, it would depend on the quality of the cartridge and whether it was airtight or not.

And the bit about the gun exploding due to the pressures? Not really. Atmospheric pressure is only 15psi. So the barrel of a gun fired in space would only be subjected to 15psi more pressure, which when you consider the pressures it already operates under, that's a miniscule amount. So the gun itself would not be affected by being fired in space.

One thing to really consider is that a gun fired in space does NOT have an effective range. The bullet would continue travelling at muzzle velocity until it hit something. (or was dragged off trajectory by gravitational pull of a planet it passed) ;)

Soldato
Let's nail this on the head... a SPARK as I assume you are defining it is not FIRE.

In order to burn something, you indeed need oxygen - as the chemical reaction of Hydrocarbon + O -> C, CO2, H2O, etc,etc

However, a spark in itself is not fire - it is as stated either a really hot partical (most commonly small particles of molten hot metal flying off something you are attacking with power tools) but sparks can also be fromed by electric currents. (IE when you touch together 2 crocodile clips hooked up to your car battery for example)...

I think that's the best way to explain it...

Caporegime
Mickey_D said:
And the bit about the gun exploding due to the pressures? Not really. Atmospheric pressure is only 15psi. So the barrel of a gun fired in space would only be subjected to 15psi more pressure, which when you consider the pressures it already operates under, that's a miniscule amount. So the gun itself would not be affected by being fired in space.

It was assuming there was solid oxygen in there ;)

Aod

Aod

Soldato
the mixture of common cordite (the "gunpowder") contains saltpetre which contains atomic oxygen in its molecule. the shock from the dtonation of the primer causes a reaction making the saltpetre to release its oxygen wherupon the cordite will detonate.

yes, guns can fire in space.

Soldato
the problem is the word 'spark'
its doesn't really have a proper scientific definition - it could mean many different processess, some of which can occur without oxygen, some can't.

as ever in these sorts of things its not the answer thats the problem its the question :p

Soldato
aardvark said:
the problem is the word 'spark'
its doesn't really have a proper scientific definition - it could mean many different processess, some of which can occur without oxygen, some can't.

as ever in these sorts of things its not the answer thats the problem its the question :p

It does, it is simply a very hot particle. :)

Soldato
William said:
It does, it is simply a very hot particle. :)

a hot particle or a burning particle? aren't they both sparks?

spark1 Audio pronunciation of "spark" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spärk)
n.

1. An incandescent particle, especially:
1. One thrown off from a burning substance.
2. One resulting from friction.
3. One remaining in an otherwise extinguished fire; an ember.
2. A glistening particle, as of metal.
1. A flash of light, especially a flash produced by electric discharge.
2. A short pulse or flow of electric current.
4. A trace or suggestion, as:
1. A quality or feeling with latent potential; a seed or germ: the spark of genius.
2. A vital, animating, or activating factor: the spark of revolution.
5. sparks (used with a sing. verb) Informal. A radio operator aboard a ship.
6. Electricity.
1. The luminous phenomenon resulting from a disruptive discharge through an insulating material.
2. The discharge itself.

see?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom