New Lens

Soldato
Was thinking of getting this lens just till i get more used to the camera and before i start spending a lot of money on better lenes.

Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 this one is only £114 any one any opinions on it or something with the same spec. I think someone here got the canon one with the same spec but for more money.

Soldato
OP
NO comments? I know its a cheap lens, but i wanna play with the cam first before i go out and spend 400+ on a lens and btw the cam is a 350d

SCM

SCM

Associate
I have the 70-300mm APO DG Macro version of the Sigma you are looking at and it is a decent lens. Can appear slightly soft over 200mm but that at times is down to stretching too far with the lens, i have found with my shots affected.

SCM

Associate
Have to say that now I have a 28-135 IS USM and a 17-40L my old 70-300 APO doesn't see any use what-so-ever (so much so in fact that it's sat at home in Devon, while I'm back at uni in Cardiff).

The fact is it really isn't a very hot lens, and you'll likely find, like me, that you'd rather limit your focal range to provide decent quality shots rather than coming away with overly soft images.
My 2p, and the 70-300 APO is certainly a good buy for the money, but for a budget lens you'd be more sensible to grab yourself a beautifully sharp 50mm f1.8 and work within it's range.

Of course, if you're after the 70-300 for it's focal range (for motorsport, or birds or something), then all this is null and void ;) Though I have to say I'm now without a tele until I can afford a 70-200L, and it hasn't bothered me, and if anything limiting my range has made me a better photographer.

Soldato
OP
neverender said:
Have to say that now I have a 28-135 IS USM and a 17-40L my old 70-300 APO doesn't see any use what-so-ever (so much so in fact that it's sat at home in Devon, while I'm back at uni in Cardiff).

The fact is it really isn't a very hot lens, and you'll likely find, like me, that you'd rather limit your focal range to provide decent quality shots rather than coming away with overly soft images.
My 2p, and the 70-300 APO is certainly a good buy for the money, but for a budget lens you'd be more sensible to grab yourself a beautifully sharp 50mm f1.8 and work within it's range.

Of course, if you're after the 70-300 for it's focal range (for motorsport, or birds or something), then all this is null and void ;) Though I have to say I'm now without a tele until I can afford a 70-200L, and it hasn't bothered me, and if anything limiting my range has made me a better photographer.

I understand where ya coming from. I will get this and play about for well, and maybe within the next month spend good money on a good tele lens.

Back
Top Bottom