• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Yet another AM2 - 939 thing

Associate
Hi guys new to the forum's would be greatful for any help.

I've been without a PC for two months now I've been looking to buy a new rig (everthing from top to toe) but im unsure to stick with S939 or go to AM2. I have read thousands of reviews and im still undecided.

I now the only main difference is DDR2 and that it wont give me much more preformance over 939 but im buying new anyway not upgrading.

Will i get lots of teething problems with am2? What about cost differences and then theres the new intel chip coming out in another 2 months aaaarrrrrrhhhhhhh ????????????????????????????

Theres also not many mobos out for am2, dose anybody now when Gigabyte release there am2 mobos?

My head is truley messed up, can anybody help........

Associate
Ok, welcome to the forums :)

If you really want to upgrade now then do it, as for going AM2, not sure about teething problems, but it seems that they are clocking well, anywhoo, if u really want it now, then get either an AM2 or an s939, advantages of going s939 is that its already established, and so more help and support available.

Advantages of going AM2, is obviously DDR2 support, but that as you said doesnt give you that much performance increase, but its a relatively new thing, also they seem to clock well.....

If you can afford to wait, then do, because conroe is out end of july and looks like its gonna be great...

These are all just my opinions, so its entirely up to you, see what other people think as well :)

Associate
if your building new i really wouldnt go for 939 - am2 is the new platform, and as it uses ddr2, if conroe takes your fancy to much it would be much easier to upgrade to it (as you wouldnt have to change ram, and you current cpu and board would fetch a higher price)

expect prices of 939 gear both new and old to start falling soon

Associate
there are already some AM2 boards out on OcUK on pre-order.....as for the gigabyte ones im not sure.....

The chip seems to be quite good and a good clocker, as i remember reading something just very recently on this forum about them......

As for reviews, try 'googling' as thats always the best bet.....

Back
Top Bottom