Line stats

Associate
have you got the manual, if not try this:

http://www.solwiseforum.co.uk/downloads/files/quicksetev.pdf

10mins on google turned this up

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

6. How do I find out about DSL line errors?
The easiest way to tell is enter console mode and check out the features under the bsp menu. Typing bsp perf will give you the physical error information FEC (forward error correction), CRC (cyclic redundancy check) and HEC (any ideas?) parameters of your circuit. Large and rapidly increasing totals for these values are bad. These counters should climb up slowly under normal circumstances. The main source of evil are CRC errors ie uncorrected errors which resulted in a retry. Below is some sample output from a AAM6000EV.

============= NEAR END ===========
------- INTERLEAVED CHANNEL ------
FEC : 24919
CRC : 33
HEC : 29
============= FAR END ============
------- INTERLEAVED CHANNEL ------
FEC : 19
CRC : 0
HEC : 0

Another useful bit of information on the physical circuit, is from the bsp channel command. This output shows you the signal strength info and the negotiated line rates. Here is some sample output from my DSL line.

Operation Mode Seletected : G.DMT
Downstream Capacity Occupation : 98 %
Downstream Noise Margin : 5.5 dB
Downstream Attenuation : 34 dB
Downstream Output Power : 19.5 dBm
Upstream Capacity Occupation : 95 %
Upstream Noise Margin : 12 dB
Upstream Attenuation : 26 dB
Upstream Output Power : 12 dBm
Already showtime 2 times

I can't seem to find anywhere that will report ATM statistics. The portcli menu's should report ATM details, but the report tools of "portcli errors", "portcli portload", "portcli stats" and "portcli show" all return zero's under ver63 (2001). Perhaps ASUS didn't think this reporting was useful. At any rate, the above details should give you a leg to stand on if you have a line quality issue with your local DSL provider.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

from this page:

http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/kemyst/id37.htm

Associate
OP
Ok thanks, I had long lost the manuel.

These are the Line stats that my router report back

Im not 100% sure what these means, I know the attenuation and Noise margie define what speeds i can get on my Adsl max.

Are these line stats good or bad?

ST_RELCAN-1.4.2(UL)
Downstream Capacity Occupation : 100
Downstream Noise Margin : 6 dB
Downstream Attenuation : 35 dB
Upstream Capacity Occupation : 56 %
Upstream Noise Margin : 20 dB
Upstream Attenuation : 28 dB
Upstream Output Power : 11.5 dBm

Caporegime
Other than in the Guesstimator, your attenuation is more or less meaningless, but your (poor) SNR margin means you aren't going to get much more (well, you'll be lucky if you get any more) of a download rate than you've got (but will most likely get an increased upstream).

Associate
Freedom said:
Im not 100% sure what these means, I know the attenuation Are these line stats good or bad?

ST_RELCAN-1.4.2(UL)
Downstream Capacity Occupation : 100
Downstream Noise Margin : 6 dB
Downstream Attenuation : 35 dB
Upstream Capacity Occupation : 56 %
Upstream Noise Margin : 20 dB
Upstream Attenuation : 28 dB
Upstream Output Power : 11.5 dBm
Crikey that downstream noise margin is bad for an attenuation of only 35 dB :eek:

I used to get between 24 and 29 dB (on a line with 54 dB attenuation) before I went on to Max.

You haven't got a fault with your wiring have you?

Associate
OP
Well the wires in the house are all intorconneted going through 2 or 3 sockets before it reaches the master socket, Can this be the problem?

Also if it possible to fit a duel master socket where one side i plug in dsl line and the other side i plug in the phone line, or is it better to use just a splitter?

Caporegime
Freedom said:
Also if it possible to fit a duel master socket where one side i plug in dsl line and the other side i plug in the phone line, or is it better to use just a splitter?

If you have the two part NTE5, yes, you can get a filtered faceplate.
Otherwise there isn't much you can do but use filters (or pay BT £££ to do it).

It isn't so much trying your modem at the master socket, it's getting rid of all the (crappy) extensions that's important.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom