Driving notes proggy....

Man of Honour
Been thinking about combineing my interest of driving and expanding my programming skills by writeing a "little" mobile java app..... After using my tomtom as a indication of whats comming corner wise while driveing unknowen fast roads

The basic idea would be a gps co-driver for your car, something that you can program in a route and make notes of the course. The real benafit would be for tracks, imagine having a visual or audio (would have to be v-loud) giving you an idea of what kinda speed you want to be hitting a corner at, how long/tight/cambered the corner would be. Or even just a map of the course - like in most racing games....

I'd be looking to develop it as a java mobile app, using a bluetooth connection to a gps unit.

Could also be used for lap and split timeings, speed indications etc etc

Issues would be the accuracy and speed of updates, limiting its effectiveness on a tight track

what do you think? usefull?

Laters
Sam

Man of Honour
OP
Chris1712 said:
Would be pretty damn sweet, not sure how useful it would be, but it would definetely be badass pretending to be colin mcrae with a co-driver :p

still have memorys of playing sega rally.... "LOOOOOOng Easy Right baby" (not entirely sure it was baby.. but its close enough :D

Wonder if I could rip the audio....

Soldato
Do you have experience in j2me w/ JSR 82? Some phones will support this but not be 100% with it - tomtom and the like work with bluetooth as they are mostly coded in C and use handy symbian hooks - I think you'll find the j2me sandbox a little restrictive (I've just had to write a PNG encoder that works on j2me... difficult!)

Man of Honour
OP
Hate said:
Do you have experience in j2me w/ JSR 82? Some phones will support this but not be 100% with it - tomtom and the like work with bluetooth as they are mostly coded in C and use handy symbian hooks - I think you'll find the j2me sandbox a little restrictive (I've just had to write a PNG encoder that works on j2me... difficult!)

yer, i'm not expecting it to be easy, but there are are programs using bluetooth gps unit's data from within j2me so its gotta be doable :)

Soldato
be very careful, even though its a "standard" not many phones will support JSR82 and even fewer will allow you to do anything remotely interesting with it.

What sort of J2ME experience do you have?

Man of Honour
OP
Hate said:
be very careful, even though its a "standard" not many phones will support JSR82 and even fewer will allow you to do anything remotely interesting with it.

What sort of J2ME experience do you have?

yer, i've head that allot, gotta love standards :)
My J2ME experience is pretty limited, I tend to work in j2se/j2ee just want to start doing projects in on ME, and started pondering about this idea.... I'm pretty good at learning stuff as i go along though, tis pretty much how i learned j2ee to begin with "can you do this project for us" "erm... yer sure, i'll give it a go :D"

Back
Top Bottom